Wheel Bearing repack

Started by chicknnhead, July 29, 2013, 04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chicknnhead

Well Tuesday night I'm going to repack the front wheel bearings. I have owned the rig for 8 years and never bothered to check them. My Mined is starting to make me think about bad things that could happen on the road since the rv will be moving next week for almost 2 weeks straight!it's a 76 MB300 dodge 1ton. any tips? i?? nothing is broken at this point more of just a General Maintenance thing before this year’s trips

I'll take pics along the way and report back

DaveVA78Chieftain

Take the cone off of the hub before hand and make sure you have a socket big enough to remove it.

Emory cloth for cleaning the caliper slides

They are heavy assemblies.

Dave
[move][/move]

ClydesdaleKevin

I always let the bearings soak in a good parts cleaner, although even gasoline or kerosene work great.

Once the cleaner has done its job and melted out all the dirty grease, dry them thoroughly with paper towels until the towels are clean.

Then I put the bearings in a plastic zip lock bag along with a good amount of wheel bearing grease, and thoroughly work the fresh grease into every part of the bearing and rollers.  Just keep pushing it into the bearing.  Makes it less messy by putting it in the zip lock bag first.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

DaveVA78Chieftain

QuoteThen I put the bearings in a plastic zip lock bag along with a good amount of wheel bearing grease, and thoroughly work the fresh grease into every part of the bearing and rollers.  Just keep pushing it into the bearing.  Makes it less messy by putting it in the zip lock bag first.

Good idea for a very messy job!

Dave
[move][/move]

EarlJr

You can get a cheap bearing packer at your local Harbor Freight. I think they do a much better job than just trying to stuff the grease in by hand.

If you've got a compressor I'd blow out the bearings with an air nozzle after washing them with any type of solvent. Tiny bits aren't going to hurt the grease any, but it always makes me feel better.

legomybago

I like to use latex gloves....but the zip lock bag is good idea.....hmmm gets me thinkin about grease in a bag for sale! Just for doing bearings...
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

pvoth1111

I know...zip lock bag....Genius.....how it is I never thought it blows my mind.
We call our coach "Charlie Brown"

ClydesdaleKevin

Why thank you...lol!  I just don't like getting messy, and wheel bearing grease isn't easy to clean off your hands.  I've had better luck with the zip lock method than the bearing packers...I've noticed voids in the grease when using them so I do it by hand now.  Blowing it out with an air compressor is a good idea though...especially to ensure that all the solvent is dried out before repacking.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

chicknnhead

well this is far as I we got last night..lol. 2 things were supposed to get completed, replacing exhaust manifold gasket on the passenger side and repack the bearings.

the passenger side manifold went very easy. but once that was fixed you could hear the driver side leaking. the gasket was shot and leaking, along with the heat riser leaking.
removed what was left of the heat risor, drilled the hole and sealed it up. man in the 8/9 years I have had this thing it has always had an exhaust leak, it actually sounds like a whole new motor with out the leak..lol.

so I'll get back on topic and get the wheel bearings packed tomorrow night, stay tuned..lol

legomybago

The only thing is........you still have to get grease in the bag!! Pull out them latex disposable gloves....start smashin grease!

Froggy1936

CAUTION: useing compressed air to blow sovent out of bearings is OK just do not let them spin wile you have them on your finger or fingers. They have been known to lock up and twist off a finger . A no lubricant bearing spinning at very high RPM is dangerous ! Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

maxximuss

I have to add that blowing off parts with compressed air in your hand can be dangerous as well. There is always a risk of forcing an air bubble into your skin and go into your blood stream and cause cardiac arrest if it makes it to your heart or a stroke if it gets to your brain.

kage

Missing fingers and heart attacks. Sounds like some tough mechanics :) . I'd like to request pictures (not of the injuries) of the whole bearing packing process, I am anticipating this and it would be great if I could see it before I have to tackle it.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Here is an example of the basic process.  MH is very simular with larger components.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BBwu2c1rLA

A real man, no gloves, bags or such.  Just loves to play in the grease!   :laugh:
[move][/move]

legomybago

Missing fingers and heart attacks Hm? .......What about grease being known to cause cancer in the state of California?? :(  This bearing job just got even more dangerous.....Thank god for full floating rear ends and sealed bearings :)

Oz

And, God forbid you'd need to take off and change your split rim tires AND repack your bearings!
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

legomybago

I was going to say "approach it like a split rim job"!! You read my mind..The only part that I feel is dangerous about doing any bearing job....is properly supporting the rig your working on so it doesnt fall on you!!!!! Never just a jack

chicknnhead

Well I got so excited to get started I just jumped in and finished and realized I didn't take any pics! I'm sorry for that. I'm trying to get better about taking pics for these project and I just plan forgot.

but yeah basically just like a car only bigger. Everything is greased and repacked along with new front pads! I can really tell the difference in the brakes now, the old ones were glazed over from age.

now the only thing not replaced by me on this old rig under the suspension is ball joints, tie rod ends, center link bushings, and front springs. every suspension part underneath has either been replaced or checked..time to start another thread for the ball joints and tie rod ends

Oz

Nope... not good enough.  Take it off and re-pack it again and take pictures this time!  LOL!
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

chicknnhead

Lol mark we need like buttons

maxximuss

eddie

Hey mister, I did that along with the new brakes about 600 miles ago so you're good!!
www.apexautospa.com

Check it-Boom

DaveVA78Chieftain

and I have most everything posted at my site:  http://dave78chieftain.zxq.net/DodgeRBrake.html

I use free site so the servers sometimes get cranky.

Dave
[move][/move]