dropped socket into hole

Started by wreckless17, January 13, 2015, 10:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wreckless17

I was replacing ignition control module and my socket flew off of my ratchet and into hole on bell housing used to check the timing.  How do I get it out any suggestions.  Help please thank you

Oz

Not sure what kind of contortions you need to go through to get to the hole, but I'd suggest a telescopic mechanic's magnet.  Saved my behind countless times.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

wreckless17

Ooopps false alarm just took the little cover off at the bottom and there it was thanks for ur help lol!!!!

Froggy1936

Good thing you saw where it went, And did not start the engine, It could break the bell housing Or worst case break the crankshaft . I definatly would cover that opening even with just tape That is a dangerous opening ! Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Bnova

Ok, glad you got you socket back, but did I just learn something here???  There are provision on the transmission for checking igition timing???  I've got a 1986 WC420RG with chev 350 and I have been meaning to check the timing, but haven't gotten around to it yet.  Would there be a spot on my trans to view the timing mark?  Thanks

Froggy1936

Sorry Bnova  That was a Dodge bell housing No such hole on a Chevrolet . Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Bnova

Oz

Just look to the left of every post.  It will tell you right there what chassis and engine is involved, as per all members' profile info.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca