Waste water vent on 1985 minnie winnie rotted away.

Started by Weblamer, February 10, 2014, 08:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weblamer

Hey folks. I have a 1985 minnie winnie that has had a leak dripping inside. After inspecting the roof, I am pretty sure it is coming in through this waste water pipe on the roof.

As you can see in the pic, the shroud is rotted away. Can I just goop that up with some silicone to seal it up, or does it also need to breathe around the pipe somehow?

legomybago

Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Mr. T

I can see the picture and looks as it is pretty much dry rotted.  I would certainly replace it as soon as possible.

Don T.

Weblamer

What is that thing called, anyways? I want to look up a replacement part but not sure what I am searching for.

HandyDan

1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

DaveVA78Chieftain

It is typically referred to as a roof vent stack pipe sealing collar.  A rubber collar used on stick and brick or RV's.
[move][/move]

Weblamer

Lefty

I just bought one a few days ago at Home Depot for our house. But it was made for a pitched roof. Other than that, it looked just like yours.

try Google for "Flat roof vent pipe collar" I found a ton of results.

https://www.google.com/search?q=flat+roof+vent+pipe+collar&rlz=1C1ASUC_enUS570US570&oq=flat+roof+vent+pipe+collar&aqs=chrome..69i57.9080j0j4&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8#q=flat+roof+vent+pipe+collar&tbm=shop
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

Stripe

My apologies if I sound harsh or rude, but shouldn't the idea of putting a new collar on that be scrapped in favor of cutting that pipe short enough to install a PROPER Roof Vent Cover??  Like the one as seen in the video HandyDan posted?  (BTW Thanks for posting that Dan. Cool Vid.)
Just my Thoughts,

Fredric
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

Weblamer

Nah, not rude. I really should, however my camper really is a beater. Don't want to dump too much money into it. (Which is something I quickly learned about RV's...they love to eat your money)

Froggy1936

Explanation: A Boat is a hole in the water, That you try to fill with money. A R/V is a bump on the asphalt that you try to fill with money . Same as  race/drag cars try,s to outrun your money . And as you work ea day to get ahead,( You never do )! Nor will you ever get all the repairs made to above mentioned pursuits. So pick your poison , And enjoy your short time on this planet , Leave good memories for those who follow to say Hey Remember when __________ Fell (off, in or in frt of ) And be happy in your choice and have FUN ! Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

legomybago

Good job Froggy, that made me feel better about my money pit....and my stress of getting it all done....it's never done.
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Stripe

Lol, Frank!  Although I will have to say when I was racing my '86 Porsche 944, it did not cost a arm and a leg to keep it going and 99.9% of the repairs I could do myself.. :D

On a separate note, plumbing vents can run you anywhere from around US$6.00 to over US$20 depending on how complicated you want to get.
For example just the cap itself at Camping World is US$6.45 on sale http://www.campingworld.com/search/index.cfm?Ntt=plumbing+vent&N=0&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=primary&Nty=1&Ntpc=1&Ns=p_sort_default .

To the 360 Products' Universal Fit "360 Siphon Vent" which is US$29.99.  https://360productsnorthamerica.com/site/

With various odds and ends in between..

Fredric, Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
Fredric,

Weblamer

Do these require a vent? Is it to keep rain from falling into it, or just to manage smells? Mine was just a pipe sticking up.

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

Stripe

Hehe, love Wiki.

The caps are to keep out clogging clutter, weather and critters and to allow venting.

There are vent caps that utilize either aero and or thermo dynamics to ones that utilize mechanics such as a solar powered fan to draw the stinkies from the waste tanks.

Google RV plumbing caps and you will see there is a vast array of choices. :)

Fredric
Fredric,

Froggy1936

If you go with the caps use some screen on top of the pipe held in place with either ty wraps or hose clamps under the cap . Voice of experience, Stink bugs will get into holding tanks by the thousands and make using a garden hose for dumping liquid waste impossible Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

ClydesdaleKevin

You can and should seal around the outer diameter of the pipe and the roof...I used Eternabond tape on ours.  That's where the water can come in and damage things.  If that's sealed, then rain at worst is only going to down the pipe and into your holding tank.

Having a vent cap keeps debris out of the pipe, however, and larger rodents.  I was having some greywater smells from one of ours, and after putting on a special vent cover that looks like a rudder, the smell went away since any light breeze creates a vortex and sucks the stinky away.

But the mushroom caps work well to keep the critters and debris out and tend to be cheaper.  6 bucks versus 20 bucks for our setup.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

ClydesdaleKevin

Yep!  That is exactly what we used.  I just couldn't remember the name of said Camco device.  I blame the Bourbon...lol!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Oz

Works really well as a rudder if you happen to capsize your RV in a... a lake... or something...

:-[
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Stripe

Fredric,

Weblamer

I plan on sealing the entire roof perimeter this weekend. I have a leak in the roof somewhere and it is driving me nuts. I live in Florida so I need to get this fixed before the summer comes or the whole inside of the camper is going to turn into a mold pit.

I have only had this camper for a few months now.

BTW thanks for the suggestion about the screen over the vent. Good idea. Particulary here in FL, the bug capitol of the US.

M & J

Someone say bourbon? Looks like jetski nozzle to me.
M & J