Compatible Dodge chassis for a '71 D17 Ford Chassis?

Started by Clyde9, November 13, 2008, 12:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clyde9

Sent: 4/11/2006 1:16 AM

I recently bought a 1971 D17 and was wandering what ford chassis was used and compatible parts would be good swap. I seen a 4x4 somewhere a cant seem to find it I think he used a ford 4 wheel drive van for the swap. Looking to bring this babe back to life pics coming soon. Thanx

Sent: 4/11/2006 1:48 AM

Hi Willow,
Congrats on your purchase. A D-17 is based upon a Dodge Chassis (hence the "D""), If you are looking to create a 4X4 conversion, I would think that the 1-ton Dodge Pick-up 4X4 from the same era would likely be a close match. A D-17 was a 1-1/2 ton chassis, and shared most chassis parts with a regular 1-ton pick-up or van, with the exception of the springs and I think the driveshaft. There was also a Ford F-17 based rig, that WAS on a Ford chassis. the easiest way to tell them apart would be by the engine. F-17's had 300c.i.d. straight-six engines, and D-17's came with 318c.i.d. or (very rarely 413c.i.d. big-blocks (440c.i.d. after '72) V-8 engines. If you have a six cyl., you got a F-17, If it's a V-8 , you have a D-17.
As for a F-17, I would think a 1-ton 4X4 Ford truck or van would be a good start.
There is a member who has done a 4X4 conversion to a Winne, maybe somebody remembers his name???

Lefty

Sent: 4/11/2006 8:25 PM

My Winnebago is a F17 not a D17. I have seen so many D's in the post that my mind slipped me while I was typing with one finger. I have read that this has a parcel van chassis from Ford.I have also seen a 4X4 conversion seems like his name was Chad and if I remember right he used an older model one ton van Chassis. Any information on what springs will fit this rig would be appreciated. THANX

Sent: 4/11/2006 9:57 PM

Hi good luck on your 4x4 swap in ,Camp spot choices will be greatly Improved.Put the lift-kit on,too,and slap on some 33's.

Sent: 4/12/2006 6:50 AM

I recall there was a member in Mass. who had created a Winnebago 4 x 4. Since I cant recall his name I wont guess and be wrong. His front axle was a dana from some later model 4 by 4 that had the same axle ration as the 4.56 rear axle that came on this winny - a dodge based axle. He had to change the tranny to one having a transfer case, also from a later model mopar 4 by 4 I think, and made some changes to the brake system.
I dimly recall that the front axle took the same hubs as the rear axle, but he used non-standard tires and maybe rims, since much of his driving was going to be on beaches.

Sent: 4/12/2006 10:50 AM

Chip's still around. Matt's still around.
And they're both on Dodge chassis'.

an F17 is on a Ford P300 chassis, I believe, and yes, it's a Potato chip truck.

There are some similarities between Ford and Dodge drive trains, the least of which is the use of a common wheel bolt pattern.

Personally, I'm not a Ford guy.... so someone around here might know better for sure...

Slantsixness <------Lifetime Mopar Nut.

Sent: 4/12/2006 10:42 PM

So I have a tater truck under my winnie. I was wandering about that. So how hard would it be to take the box off the chassis and put it on another with the same wheel base?

Sent: 4/13/2006 5:11 AM

The Winnebago construction  method is not conducive to removing the body from the frame. There are cross beams welded to the frame, along with accessory housing framing that is attached and beneath the frame. The floor is bolted to the cross beams, then the walls are attached to the floor. The lower valance is attached to both the floor and the frame... it keeps going and going.... the construction technique used is actually really neat, but they're built from the floor up, including interior, BEFORE the roof is put on even!

Now for the good news:

The frame (Ford or Dodge) is standard truck width for the respective manufacturer.
The F17, however has nothing in common with the 70's "flat front" Vans in regards to the frame and suspension, it's more closely related to the F300 and 400 trucks.
So all you really need is a 1 ton front Differential assembly (straight axle...think full size Bronco for an example....), Transmission, transfer case, and suitably matching gear ratios with the original rear end, or... you can change that too, since I believe all F17's were single rear wheel design...

Everything will Bolt up slick as snot on a doorknob. Just be sure that if you change over to disc front brakes that you realize that you will need a proportioning valve, master cylinder and flex lines off of the donor Truck....and modify the braking system as well. Steering should be compatible using the original  P300 pieces, or convert to the donor trucks steering gear.. and that'll bolt up too!

It's not hard.... but it's not cheap to do, either.

Tom

Sent: 4/13/2006 5:14 AM

One last thing...

If you use a Ford truck for your conversion, it's very likely that the front drive shaft would fit, unmodified. The rear drive shaft, however, will have to be custom made.

Sent: 4/13/2006 6:28 AM

When I was very young my grandparents carried me camping every year. My first RV to ever see was a Winnie. Ever since Ive wanted one and now that I  own one it does not matter the labor to put it together. The wife and I want it roadworthy and 4x4 would be a nice feature but not a must. I want this thing for a mountain home. Already have 3 grandkids oldest being 2 so I've got to get on the ball. Soon I will get some pics before I start work on it and then update. Good info is the jump on a good start. Think Ill enjoy being a member here even though my daughter thinks I've gone nuts by buying (that ugly thing) my new found toy. Thanx slantsixness for that wonderful insight on the framework. I love the 001 ain't she a bute. oughta be in a museum (not) looks like it found a good home.

Thanx to all
Willowbender

Sent: 4/14/2006 6:02 AM

For something at the other extreme...I saw a '71 D-17 (shorty)Winne at Talledega that had been lowered and tubbed with 28in. Mickey Thompsons, had a blown, alcohol 440 in it, chromed, and had a lexan engine cover to show it off. and the interior was caged, and had Simpson racing seats. The paint job was full-on flames! The thing even had wheelie bars at the back, and a chute! I was working the O'Reilly Auto Parts guest booth, and didn't take my dang camera. But I sure would have loved to have gotten some pic's. You could have imagined my jaw dropping, when it rolled by me on the way to the parking area in the infield. Thing sounded like a full-on funny car! I'm sure it was built just to drive to the races, (I assume they drove it to Talledega, but they might have trailered it in)and as a "conversation" piece by somebody who had far more money than they need. But, if you have the ability, and access to spare parts (say a wrecked race car), It's like anything else, it has an engine, and thus can be hot-rodded! Same goes for a 4X4, if you have the ability, and a shop full of tools, things can be swapped or fabricated to make such a conversion a reality. And a 4X4 would be something that would come in very handy if you enjoy camping in the more remote areas. Due to the physical size, you won't be able to do any rock-crawling, or go down tight wooded trails, but it would be great for accessing desert areas, or getting to a secluded stream for some great fishing.