Re: I can feel road bumps and thumping in brake pedal

Started by cosmic, March 19, 2013, 05:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cosmic

I have a quick brake question. on my 75 brave 21. when I step on the brakes and go over bumps in the road I feel every little thing through the pedal. Now any other vehicle I have drove has never done this. It almost feels like when a brake rotor is warped  and you feel it in the pedal when stopping.

Now my brake rotors are just fine but I feel the little cracks in the road the small bumps you run over right through the pedal. I like to drive in my bare feet and its been this way for 6 years that I have had the rig. She stops on a dime for a rv anyway.
Just wondered if this is normal. Thanks guys. i??

cosmic

just to add one more thing. On a new road I don't feel anything just smooth pedal.  but if there is cracks in the road then I feel them in the pedal.
I hope this makes sense. the way im trying to explain it.

Elandan2

I think what you are feeling is the vibrations transmitted from the suspension.  You have to remember that the front ends on these rigs are closer related to a stagecoach than a modern vehicle.  The only thing that could be amplifying the effect is if the linkage to the master cylinder is loose. Check the connection at the pivot and while there, grease the fitting on the sleeve.  Rick
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

Oz

I wondered if that were the case too.  I do recall feeling the same thing in my '74 Indian until I replaced the shocks and added the air bag suspension.  After I did, I didn't feel the bumps any more.

Since the Dodge chassis is like older Jeep CJ series, it rides on leaf springs instead of coild springs and usually, they're pretty well worn-out, thus maginifying any and all bumps and vibrations.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

cosmic

Thanks guys I will check the linkage as soon as I get her home this spring. if its not the linkage I will keep looking and let ya all know what I come up with.
over all driving down the road see isn't overly bumpy. she is pretty good. So I will check everything that has to do with the brake pedal to the booster and master. Make sure it all looks and feel sound.

Mytdawg

My '76 is kind of tired and I have the exact same experience.  I have shocks in the box for spring (if it ever comes) but I kind of figured it was the rudimentary suspension at work, sending feedback through the pedal.

cosmic

Thanks Mytdawg
I was getting a little concerned that I was the only one to ever experience this. I most definitely will come to the bottom of it now.
Just wish weather would bring spring. enough snow already $@!#@!

ibdilbert01

My 72 did this as well, though it wasn't to the extreme that I ever worried about it.
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!