Wild idea ... Reverse front rims for wider track

Started by Arberg0, November 29, 2008, 06:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arberg0

From: Beatty1950 (Original Message) Sent: 9/5/2004 12:13 PM

OK ... I know this is wild...  I am looking at my front of Classic 1975 D19 Winnebago.  The front tires are nearly a foot from the side of the coach.

Question ... Has anyone experienced a change to the wheels (or maybe reverse the wheels) with spacers or ?? to give the front wheels a wider track (like the rear wheels).

When driving MISS TANK... I sometimes feel like I am on stilts...

Strange question but ...

Dave Beatty
beattyd@yahoo.com

I'm not sure the wheels would clear the body while turning if you reverse the font rims . I agrre that it looks wierd and makes the tires look small and out of place , but i'm sure there is a reason for it . Sea hag 

Dave... not really a good idea.  Those rims are designed to keep the weight of the coach in a single plane that is in line with the face of the wheel hub.  If you reverse the rim, then you are changing the stress line placed on the face of the wheel -- you run the risk, over time, of breaking out the lug area of the wheel.

One way to get around this, if you are dead set on reversing the wheels, is to have a plate made out of 1/2" steel to put between the inside of the rim and the lug nuts.  This will help spread out the "prying" force on the lug area, similar to the "double" lug area of a dual wheel setup.

One word of advice, though... you mention that it feels like you are on stilts.  Well, since the springs are on a narrow spacing, you are still going to feel that way since the coach "bobs & weaves" on the springs -- the tire track on the Winnie really has very little to do with this.

John

Just to add to what HHT said, if you reverse the rims it will put a tremendous strain on the wheel bearings as well as the wheels.
If you really want to widen the front wheel track, use a set of wheels off a HD 3/4 ton pickup.

If you increase the front wheel track, the stress on the wheel bearings and the kingpins would increase a lot, with the kingpins wearing out the fastest. The axle would be a little bit more likely to bend on bad bumps. The steering geometry would be way off, unless you altered the castor; which would mean a unique redesigned axle. I think the steering effort on corners would be much higher.

I really appreciate all the info and advise ...   

I was just thinking without any real plans of doing especially with all the concerns received about this off the wall idea.

Now about the addition of a slide outs on both sides ...    I heard that there is a place in Canada that does this modication ....

Dave Beatty

As a minor side note, widening the distance between the front wheels would also increase the already wide turning radius; like a go cart, it handles good but takes a wider arc to turn.

I'll bet a slide-out would cost several times what we paid for our rigs! - LOL!  - Sob

YEP on the cost...  But dreaming is still free.

I am always amused when I remember that the $5,000 (and climbing when I decide on the new generator and awning) that I have invested in my 1975 Classic D19 is less than many pay for the sales taxes on their new coaches.

Dave Beatty

Yea or the....
$1500 generator for my rig...
$5000 for new engine and trany work, sandblast gas tanks and have RENU treatment done....(but it runs like a dream).
$1000 for new tires and Wheels to get rid of Split rims...
$450 for used refridge when mine died litterally walking out the door to leave on a trip....
They are very much like boats, constant maintenance, but we do it out of love for our rigs, not out of how much we will save over a new one.

Matt

Ok ... here is my list of costs.

Purchase        $2000
License           250 (Include Sales Tax)
CD Radio          140 (Car Toys with Remote)
Mud Flap           10 (Single one cut in half to make 2)
Tires             870 (6 new Yokohama 10ply 8X17.5)
Seats             420 (2 new front seats)
Alternator/Reg    240
Microwave          45 (Sears)
Rubber Floor       70 (Diamond Plate puzzle Floor)
Shoulder belts    195
Stove Topper       45
4 Scissor jacks   300 (BAL 5000# capacity, include install)
Paint             200 (Auto paint plus trim and interior)
Winnebago decals   40
50' 30amp ext cord 50
Bilstein Shocks   301
Teddy Bear          1
Whisker Mud Flap   40
Fuel Pump          18
Wiper Blades       16
Chrome Lug Nuts    48
Lug Nut             6
Valve Stem ext     40
Winnebago License   5
(2) Tiffany Lamps  52
Sunbeam bug zapper 20
3rd battery        50
battery cables     25
Combo padlock      17 (to lock the sliding battery tray)
Air Horns          30
Overflow bottle    15
Portable alarm     40
Dash switches      45 (for wipers and fan)

Note:  Secret incomplete list ... not shared with first wife (and only wife so far)....

Dave Beatty

Ive put about 8000,maybe 9000  into ours,but it runs pretty good.Will  do some external cosmetics someday,but the mechanicals I didnt scrimp on and Im very pleased with the results.
BooBoo

I pulled in to get gas,rig covered in dirt and not looking so hot,some guy pulls up in his truck and gives me a 'piece of junk' look.I get in,turn the key,click,VROOM,nice deep even 440  rumble,felt pretty good about THAT! Bet he cant fire his NEW truck as fast as that.GO MOPAR!
BooBoo

Dave,about the secret list,heck,Mrs. BooBoo spends more freely on this thing than I do,she is a good woman!

Oh,and in 2006 I get my final smog check and go EXEMPT!
WOOHOO    !!!!!!!!!!!!
BooBoo

I love seeing msges from you Booboo, they are always uplifting, and fun to read.  Say HI to the Mrs for us.

Erik & Tiffany

Thanks,and We like hearing from you too,Mrs B  sends her best!
BooBoo

If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little.
George Carlin (1937 - 2008)

"The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." --Thomas Jefferson