Best internet access?

Started by Madathlon, June 26, 2013, 01:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madathlon

My wife and I are arguing on what the best route to take.

I want to get a Prepaid MiFi hotspot from T-moble ($75 a month for unlimited data service)

She is convinced we can get free access even in state parks in Oregon or go to places that have free access. I can not see them allowing us to park there for hours on end and using there free services.

I am a amateur writer and we both enjoy lots of time on secondlife and our son loves his Xbox 360 live games.

So what the best choice?
Madathlon
   CWO4 Motor Pool Chief (retired)
   Onan Master Installer/Service Tech
   Mercury Marine Golden Wrench
   OMC Master Marine Tech
   ASE Master Tech

M & J

Best choice? Free. Mostly reliable? MIFI.

However there are typically 5gig monthly data limits on the subscription services (MIFIs) and a couple of movies plus the Xbox on a few times will quickly get you in to data overage charges which can be substantial.
For example my staff uses MIFIs for mobile data (laptop) use. They have a 5 gig limits and the only time one went over was when one of them used the mifi to let his child watch "a couple" movies on Netflix. He had to pay the $140 data overage charges.
For emails, browsing, etc.the mifi is the most dependable. But throw in the Xbox and movies best seek a free wifi service.
M & J

Madathlon

Ya, Movies where not in the plan. That way I looked heavily into the wineguard on the roof :D

But the 360 is another issue.
Madathlon
   OMC Master Marine Tech
   ASE Master Tech

ClydesdaleKevin

Your son is going to have to get used to reading books...lol!  We have Verizon, arguably the best MiFi setup you can get (best coverage and data speeds even in the boonies), but its not even the data limit that is the issue...5 gigs for their normal plan, and 10 bucks a month for each additional gig, so the data limit can be bypassed pretty cheaply with Verizon.  The problem with ANY MiFi setup and gaming is data SPEED.  Even with the very best 3-G signal, gaming isn't an option...its not fast enough.  4-G is supposed to be fast enough, but the coverage for 4-G is extremely limited, and by that I mean you'll only get 4-G near or in a metropolitan area...your MiFi card will default to 3-G otherwise.

To clarify what I mean by 3-G not being fast enough:  When I'm using our Verizon MiFi, I use Opera with Turbo enabled as a our browser.  Its the only one that works without stalling and having to keep reloading pages...and even then forget watching even a simple video on YouTube...buffer buffer...play for 3 seconds...buffer buffer...Online gaming?  Yeah...it'll stall and your character will get killed before you even know what happened...lol!

Your other option would be to get a Yagi type wifi antenna highly amplified and hope you can pick up an unsecured signal from somewhere nearby...but if you are out in the boonies or in a heavily treed/mountainous area, forget that idea.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Froggy1936

As far as free wifi (being cheap) I have found that you can access it in a ton of places without needing a password . Mcdonalds or any parking lot nearby (i also have a signal booster good up to 1/8 mi ) Nearly any motel  And flying j ,s Also there are pay for temp service places on line   Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Madathlon

I have been looking into the hi gain Ant for PC's and have one that I have install on dozens of boats.

http://store.advancedmart.com/camaorrvhipo.html

Not only does it work great, The thing basicaly bullet proof. I have never seen one dead, And trust me, I seen them get smashed and sank and they still worked.

Madathlon
   OMC Master Marine Tech
   ASE Master Tech

mrmuse

Had to chime in as former WISP owner.  Wireless Internet Service provider.  Any 2.4 ghz bridge hooked to a quality 2.4 ghz antenna will work and they can be found cheap.  Probably the most expensive part will be the proper antenna cable.  IE
cheap Netgear bridge, cable and 24 db parabolic grid antenna.  I have used one here @ the house more than 10 years with no problem.  I also use an inline 1 watt amp.If you need help, just holler.  Here's a starting point.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Netgear-ME101-wireless-ethernet-bridge-802-11-b-/300997300149?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4614d64fb5

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833997212&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-Wireless+Accessories-_-N82E16833997212&gclid=CNWVy9bDuLoCFeY-MgodLnQALA

Oz

How does inclement weather, heavy clouds, rain, lighteninig affect Wi-fi or WISP?

Is WISP the same as Wi-fi?

Is this topic covering the same question I posted on the Full-time board?  If so, there's more info here:

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,4192.msg12337.html#msg12337
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

mrmuse

Yes, a viable, and cheap option.  As for weather I've had snow, blizzards, ice, you name it and the only problems were when the source (Starbucks) lost power.

I personally use the Netgear I posted in the link, it is plugged into the 24 db parabolic grid antenna on the antenna side, and a Linksys WRT54G wireless router via RJ45 CROSSOVER CABLE!  IT WILL NOT WORK WITHOUT IT.  ONCE TO ROUTER IT'S PLUG AND PLAY.  Now because I was pulling a signal 27 miles away, I used an inline lightning arrestor (for earth ground) and a 1 watt send/receive amp (like a linear for ham radio), and my antenna was mounted on a 110 foot tower, but with the short 50 yards you shouldn't need the amp.  Wireless has changed over the years but the good news is, it's backward compatible.  Just don't mix 5.0 ghz, or 900 mhz into the mix.   Keep every component compatible to "B" and you will be fine..

Another nice thing, most Netgear/Linksys products are +5 or +12 volts, making it easy on RV's.

Gregg

PS.  You also need to use a public email ie:  Yahoo, Gmail etc.  Companies like Charter won't log you in without a Charter IP address.

I just want you to understand, ANY bridge should work that has a detachable antenna so you can connect an external one, proper cables, lightning protection, etc.

Oz

WISP = Wireless Internet Service Provider?
What is the benefif of being a WISP compared to just having Wi-Fi?

What is a parabolic grid antenna? 

What does the 5.0 and 900 mhz apply to?  The router, the antenna, the cable?  A setting on your computer?  Which one should we use, the 5.0 or the 900?

"ANY bridge should work that has a detachable antenna" - Does this include the Golden Gate bridge?  What is a bridge?  Is it another name for a router or something else?

mrmuse

WISP = Wireless Internet Service Provider
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_Internet_service_provider

Parabolic Grid 2.4 mhz antenna:
http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_query=Parabolic+Grid+Antenna&adid=22222222220207081063&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=b&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=27975741147&wl4=&veh=sem

Netgear ME101 bridge:
http://support.netgear.com/product/ME101

WISP serving your location.

TNN Communications
PO Box 3031, Key Largo, Florida, Monroe, 33037
www.TerraNova.Net
Network Services and Telecommunications Provider including wireless Internet Access.

Gregg

Oz

WISP vs Wi-Fi

Wi-fi is simply the wireless network you use.

WISP is a provider: 
WISPs often offer additional services like location based content, Virtual Private Networking and Voice over IP. Isolated municipal ISPs and larger state-wide initiatives alike are tightly focused on wireless networking.
WISPs are predominantly in rural environments where cable and digital subscriber lines are not available. WiMax is expected to become mainstream in the near future, bringing with it dramatic changes to the marketplace by increasing the number of interoperable equipment on the market and making mobile data transmission feasible, increasing the utility of such networks in rural environments. However, high-bandwidth wireless backhauls are already common in major cities[citation needed], providing levels of bandwidth previously only available through expensive fiber optic connections.

So, you can set yourself up as a WISP with the proper equipment.  What's the benefit?  If there is nothing available in the area at all, you become the source.  For the vast majority of people... you just need to be able to pull-in a signal.

Parabolic Antenna

Is an antenna that is shaped like a dish, like a satellite TV dish.  It's used for TV, communications, etc and also to boost the signal of a wireless router in order to pull-in weak and distant signals.  They can look like TV satellite dishes or made of a mesh (grid antenna as mentioned above) that looks like the, rotating radar antennas on warships in the old movies.

Choosing one will depend on the condtions you live in.  The more extreme the weather conditions, the more durablity you'll need.

Wireless "bridge"

A device that is used to add desktop computers and printers in remote locations to the network without having to string cables and without having to equip each one with a Wi-Fi adapter. 

900mhz vs 5.0ghz

WiFi networks signas work  in the ranges of 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz. These are bands of radio frequency open for public communication. WiMax wireless networks use a much larger range of GHz frequencies. A higher frequency such as 5 GHz requires more power to penetrate obstructions than a lower frequency like 2.4 GHz.