Hauling Honda Goldwing

Started by Madathlon, October 08, 2013, 07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madathlon

OKay Friends I have a 1983 Honda Goldwing GL1100i Interstate. I was wondering if anyone here has tried hauling some form of bumper mount bike rack to haul a bike like this on? Or do you all used a trailer?

I also was wondering if the rear frame on my 1984 Winni Chieftain could even bare the weight of a 900lbs bike.

Any and all suggestion welcomed.
Madathlon
   CWO4 Motor Pool Chief (retired)
   Onan Master Installer/Service Tech
   Mercury Marine Golden Wrench
   OMC Master Marine Tech
   ASE Master Tech

Oz

Without going through all kinds of techno-calculations, MHO would be that a bike that big and heavy would best to be towed on a trailer rather than on a bumper rack.

Not that it couldn't be done, but I think you'd need some serious strengthening of the frame to carrier and also rear air bags on the suspension.  Up to a 600cc may be alright, but a full-dressed Interstate?  Also, you have to be more careful with pulling into gas stations, etc on account of the extended length from the rear wheel... wouldn't be a fun time if the entrance angled too sharply upward and the unit hit the asphalt or concrete deck.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Madathlon

I had those thoughts also, and I even thinking maybe a Nose hauler (Front end) It be easier to see and handle
Madathlon
   OMC Master Marine Tech
   ASE Master Tech

Oz

I think the front would be a better choice in terms of the physics involved as well as the peripheral handling considerations.  The suspension would still need to be bolstered with an airbag or airshock or system due to the added weight. 

Also, I think there would be an issue with the bike block your lights.  You might need to use pick-up truck snow plow light system?

EarlJr

I'd be afraid putting the bike in front would be too restrictive for the radiator.

I wouldn't put it in one of those hitch mount haulers, but of you got one of the multi-point mounting types I think it would be ok.

If you've got the dough... I have an uncle who has one of these: http://www.discountramps.com/rv-motorcycle-carrier.htm. Really cool.

Madathlon

Earl, its a great lift, but I think it weigh as much as my bike and the Honda Goldwing is to heavy for a bumper hauler. So now its time to find a trailer that with the bikes weight wont be over 2000lbs
Madathlon
   OMC Master Marine Tech
   ASE Master Tech

DonD

Let's see the bike!

Here's my latest bike build.
Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.

Madathlon

Madathlon
   OMC Master Marine Tech
   ASE Master Tech

DonD

Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.

Madathlon

And that also the first photo of my 'New' Chieftain LOL I so need to take more LOL
Madathlon
   OMC Master Marine Tech
   ASE Master Tech

ibdilbert01

Here was my last bike build.....     :D

The Build before that one....  (was a bit bigger, but not as fun to ride)

Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

Oz

Here's Old Ed Brady's last build...

[smg id=3238]

ClydesdaleKevin

At an RV show last year we saw a pretty neat rear motorcycle carrier that had its own set of wheels to take the weight off your rear suspension, but it was around 3000 bucks.  A trailer would be a lot cheaper.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

73dodgeTitan

Here is the Titan carrying a honda 350.

cosmic

picture something going wrong and the bike falls off.  hard bump frame breaks.
Question. front or back
i'll take the back.

Madathlon

either breaking would be a nightmare. But I been welding since I was 10 and Im more then postive I could build something safe and supportive, the big question is will the RV handle the extra 900lbs on either end.
Madathlon
   OMC Master Marine Tech
   ASE Master Tech

EarlJr

Quote from: ClydesdaleKevin on October 11, 2013, 08:05 AM
At an RV show last year we saw a pretty neat rear motorcycle carrier that had its own set of wheels to take the weight off your rear suspension, but it was around 3000 bucks.  A trailer would be a lot cheaper.

Kev

I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier... we built one of these for my Dad's power wheel chair to tow behind his Minnie Winnie. We "borrowed" the design from http://www.cruiserlift.com/swivelwheel.html. (That's actually a really informative website, BTW.)

We got tired of moving ramps so we added a folding, trailer-width ramp that is permanently mounted. We also didn't like the plywood deck so we used expanded metal instead. It mounts using two 2-inch receivers we welded right to the frame. Of course, after we added the thing it made the garage too short for the motorhome to fit, so we also modded it so we could fold it up to store vertically when not in use. You just have to be careful not to walk into the tire before your first cup of coffee in the morning. :) I would think we could add a wheel-chock to ours and it would easily haul a motorcycle.

I think those are going for anywhere between $1000 and $2000. It's mostly 2-inch angle iron, so I bet we've got less than $500 into ours. Plus some time behind the welder.

Mom and Dad also like the extra outside storage. They routinely haul lawn chairs,  the greasy barbecue, firewood, and (once or twice) some wild game on the thing. The just hose it off when they get home.

M & J

Now that's a hellavah idea. i remember seeing a very small camper that was hard mounted to a bumper with a single swivel wheel to carry the load. Maybe for a VW? Anyway, that would solve a great deal of the weight distribution.
M & J

pvoth1111

My .02.....I would never place that much weight on the front......its a truck... put the weight on the back where it was designed to carry a load.......buy an enclosed trailer and put it in there.....that much weight on the front will result in bad handling and breaking at the very least.
We call our coach "Charlie Brown"

Stripe

Love that Honda 350 setup.  I used to have a '76's just like it.  Good ride, easy handling and not too heavy..  I can see why you chose that one to go on the front. 
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28