out with the old and in with new?

Started by circleD, June 11, 2014, 09:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

circleD

I'm thinking about taking out all of my double lights in the bedroom and sitting area because they're halogens and drain power. I was going to take out the housing and put in led strip lights so I can conceal them and not just stick them on the ceiling. I also want to drill 2 holes on the upper left part of my dash for a tach and aux volt meter.
I plan on keeping the beast for awhile but I might trade it in on a goose neck down the road. And I was wanting opinions on keeping it stock or add crap that might bring the value down.

Stripe

Quote from: circleD on June 11, 2014, 09:56 PM
but I might trade it in on a goose neck down the road.
<GASP!>
AHHH!!! ???

I did what Kev did on his HRI, I put almost all LED bulbs in mine. Ordering more soon..
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

TerryH

Removing the double - or even single fixture will result in a 3/4" hole for the existing wiring. Likely too large for even LED strip lights to cover. Maybe consider changing all your incandescent bulbs to LED's. I changed out all of my interior bulbs to LED's and am very happy with the results.
Pro -    far,far less amp draw
           cost is relative when you consider life span
           light quality is acceptable provided you research the LED replacement bulb specs before purchase
           that burned out dark brown spot that you see on your fixture lens - yes, the one that eventually disintegrates when you remove the lens for cleaning - will not occur. Nor will burnt wires or headliner. Heat transference from LED's is so minimal that it will likely astound you.
Con -    initial bulb cost. But, when you take bulb life span and battery draw into consideration you will likely find that the "Pro" side  definitely mitigates the "Con".
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

circleD

The good thing is that the lens are original with no brown spots. I was going to leave the housing but disassemble the underside to install the strips.
I'm just curious if simple upgrades and permanent holes in the dash would make someone not want to buy it or try to claim that the extra stuff will make it worth less in their eyes. I love the original stuff but some upgrades are needed.

Wbago

I swapped all the original bulbs for LEDs, and added a white led 5 metre strip light round the ceiling ... then added 15 metres of coloured led strip light, on a remote control ...
now its really bright when i want it to be, and the coloured lights are nice and chilled out of an evening ...

as for the resale value, i thought about it, then figured id rather have the brighter lighting, whatever :D
Do you want it to look original, or do you want to see stuff ??? i??

legomybago

Gauges increase the value of these old beasts'......

If it doesnt already have a tach, put one in with a clean install..

If it has a stock tach in the dash that doesn't work, fix it. Don't add an after market one because you dont want to fix the factory one..That is what depreciates classic rigs...Like when you see added on tail/turn signal lights on the back of a pickup truck, the owner of that truck didnt know how to fix the factory tail lights, so they installed there own with crazy wiring :)ThmbUp I have seen it multiple times...Makes it a mess down the road for the next person trying to make everything work the way it should...IMO
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

circleD

I love those lights Wbago! I have several strings of those lights and I want to install them but I like what you've with the square shape. Having the gauges installed cleanly is a big concern. I agree with not having duplicate gauges. Thanks guys  :)ThmbUp

circleD

Well good news, putting Velcro on the back of the strip lights will make them stick to the fabric ceiling and removable with out a trace.

M & J

Fuzzy dice? You have fuzzy dice hanging from the mirror?
M & J

circleD

Nope. No rear view mirror.  :laugh:
Wbago does.

M & J

Dice are hanging from something.
M & J

Stripe

The ceiling carpet is great for velcro applications... :D
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

Wbago

My dice are on a sucker, actually .. i got a load of bead chains n stuff hanging off the mirror :D ... what the problem, darn mirror is no use anyways lol :D

M & J

Wrong. The darn mirror is good for hanging stuff from. :)
M & J

Wbago

good point :D
im actually gonna be using it to keep an eye on my daughter when driving, thats the only reason i didnt just rip it off lol :D