Did the M500 have an optional, Manual Transmission?

Started by thisoldhippy, April 28, 2012, 12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thisoldhippy

Hi: I have a 1979 winnebago with the m500 chassis in it! Was wondering if anyone know if they ever put a manual transmission in this chassis? :)

Wantawinnie

I looked at the possibility on my 73 Chieftain. The main obstacle is the shifter on the transmission I planned to use comes up right where the raised floor and bracing for flooring is.

Lefty

The M-500 never came with a manual transmission.

As for adding one, I would assume it could be done using either a HD 4 speed from a 1 ton truck that was equipped with a 440 and manual trans as a donor vehicle and fabricating any of the other parts needed to complete the job. As for the shifter, a shifter that uses cables could be your answer... The cables are available in different lengths, and are flexible. Allowing you to possibly mount the shifter in the dash? I know Hurst makes them, and possibly other brands. Might try Summit or Jegs to see whats available.

I would have one concern though, the original transmission was a Loadflite 727, a HD version of the familiar Torqueflite 727 used in Chrysler products up to 1 ton. The Loadflite was rated for vehicles in excess of 15,000lbs. The biggest vehicle that carried a 440 and a manual transmission would have been a 1 ton truck, which might have been rated for that much GVWR, but I doubt it. Something to think about.
As for installing a newer 5 spd tranny of some kind, I don't have any idea what could be made to work..
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

Froggy1936

Manual transmissions are almost obsolete !!  The automatic has advanced so far even drag racers use automatics Most over the road tractor trailers are automatics also Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

thisoldhippy

The reason I was asking is I have an Isuzu 6BD1T that I'm putting in it. It is already set up for a manual. Finding out that the only auto that can take the pressure is a Alision like 1000 or 2000.

ClydesdaleKevin

Anything CAN be done, with enough ingenuity and knowhow...mixed with a bit of creativity and flavored with insanity...thus do we love our old RVs...lol!

That's the Isuzu Diesel, right?  The heavy truck version?  If you can get the same manual transmission that bolts up to it, I don't see any reason why you can't get it to work.  You'd have to redo transmission mounts, but you'll have to redo the motor mounts anyway, so its not that big a deal.  Driveshaft length will be different more than likely, so you'll have to get a custom front drive shaft.  As far as the shifter goes, even if there is a brace in the way, you could weld braces on either side, and cut through the brace to install the shifter and linkage.  A clutch pedal might be a problem, but I know they sell standalone clutch pedals for different applications, both hydrolic and cable actuated, so its possible and doable.

Let us know how it works out, and PLEASE take lots of pictures!  Diesel conversions are something a LOT of us are very interested in with the rising cost of gas.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Wantawinnie

Sounds like a cool swap. I am planning on a Cummins 6bt and had looked at doing a Getrag  5 speed. That transmission  would need some of the floor removed behind the step down as well.  In my rig the factory automatic in there is very close to the floor drop right now. I will instead be using a rebuilt A518 overdrive diesel trans with a Goerend converter, big tranny pan, shift kit, and two tranny coolers(one fan cooled under the coach). A gears vendors will be going behind that for an additional overdrive and gear splitting.

Good luck with the swap and please keep us informed on your progress.

thisoldhippy

Thanks guys! I will take a lot of pictures and keep everyone informed! The thing that has been throwing me is the clutch! I have a friend in Idaho who did the cummins swap with a manual been talking to him! I was going to do a Cummins but got a great deal on this Isuzu! They are pretty much the same! Mine was built 10-86 so it is a very simple diesel!