Replace rear Leaf springs and shocks? 1976 class C Dodge

Started by chicknnhead, June 17, 2011, 04:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chicknnhead

So i have 76 dodge class C...and the a$$ end drags..lol don't they all. i have owned it 7 years and i think the rear has always sagged and the rig has never set level. I called st louis spring, they make leaf springs, and told them i wanted to replace them, they told me to get the number off them.....i gave it a 10sec glance but couldn't find it..anyone know are there numbers on the springs?

if not i need to remove the springs and bring them to them to they can make me a set
never done this before and i'm a little bit shaken by the idea. i am mechinically inclided jsut more worreied about something falling or springing loose and killing me. anyone removed replaced their spring before to make their rig sit level(front to back, it sits level side to side)?

figured while i have the springs out mights as well do the shocks while i'm there

thanks

LJ-TJ

Awwww I don't know about all that but it sounds to me like you might just need to add a leaf. I'm sure I'll be corrected here but it sounds to me like your going to an awful lot of extra work and expense just to level her up. Any good spring shop worth is salt should be able to add a leaf. Shocks shouldn't be a big deal. I put a set of bilstens on my 75 an WOW what a difference.

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p3841.m570.l1311&_nkw=bilstein+shocks&_sacat=

JDxeper

How about air lift kits about $250?? Hm? D:oH!
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

salplmb

i had the same problem. thought about springs also. went with the new air bags front and rear. big, big difference. i just have a little higher pressure in the back right to fix the sag. helps level out at the camp site too.
very good bang for the buck.
sal

Oz

With the class A chassis of those years, you had leaf springs in the back AND the front.  The age and wear over the years really result in horrible ride and handling.  I put air bags front and rear on mine and it was a total world of difference.  The cost was a lot less and the work involved was immeasurably less.  The improvement was incredible. 

With a class C, your cost is well worth the investment and that too is less since you only need them on the rear.  And, it doesn't take more than 2 hours to do.  Even a dope like me was able to pull it off... quite successfully at that, I must admit.  :)
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

chicknnhead

Well, I'm back at this again. a buddy of mine who works for ryder and does this for a living has agreed to help me. We have scheduled the first Sunday in march to remove one and take it to st louis spring so they can make me a pair ($150 each) siad would be a week, them march 11th we are reinstalling both sides.

looking fwd to this i will let everyone know how the progress goes

I have a 76 class C. i found some paper work for rear shocks that were replaced in 93, doesn't give details on what shocks. I figure 20 year old shocks are no good and time for new while i'm there.

anyone have any suggentions for shocks for my class C?

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

chicknnhead

I notice the link says cb300..always wonder about the whole cb300 mb300 mb400..i never have been really sure what i have

DaveVA78Chieftain

200, 300, 400, etc represent weight class like 1/2, 3/4, 1 ton

MB was the passenger van chassis

CB is the Commercial chassis which was what most RVs were built on (a cutaway chassis body)

Dave
[move][/move]

Lefty

Unless the original leaf spring is broken, a spring shop can easily re-arch it to the original curvature. Usually that's cheaper than having new springs made.
Adding additional leafs can also be done, you just need to get longer u-bolts to clamp them with since it will be thicker than original.
Air shocks can help, as can air bags, both are easy to install on rear axles.
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

chicknnhead

got the Drivers side spring out last night. take it to the spring place Monday to have the pair made. Now on the hunt for shocks.....

i did take pics but will post later

chicknnhead

So i promised pics

my rear bumper was 9 inches off the ground (didn't get a pic of the that)

the spring itself, while in place was reversed arched, they are so week
once out they don't have much of an arch left

chicknnhead

got the new springs back, install tomorrow night

chicknnhead

Well the new springs are on! raised the rear bumper of the RV 5 inches. I will add pics of the level rv later as it was dark when we finished. but i can say i'm happy with the results. there was no rubber left in the eyelets of the springs. looks they have been bad for a long time.

now with the motorhome on the ground i can see the tops of the rear tires!!!!
I have not taken it for a drive yet, that will be this saturday after i check the rearend gear oil..i noticed some leaking

Oz

People don't realize that, even a low mileage vintage RV can have worn out leaf springs.  All that weight just sitting on them all those years has as much effect as driving them 100,000 miles.  whenever possible, it's a good idea to use jack stands to minimize the weight sitting on the suspension when the RV is not being used.

ClydesdaleKevin

Looks Great!!!   :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp

I love seeing jobs done right!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

chicknnhead

thanks i'm super excited to take it for a drive..this saturday

chicknnhead

got the front shocks on, as they were orginal.....this rv sits nice and level now and rides way better then I ever could have dreamed

now she sits level

Oz

chicknnhead

thanks Mark it was a long time coming but a good feeling now that it is fixed.

and again couldn't have done it without this site, thanks for all you do

JDxeper

Will have to see the rig when you are in the area again.
JD

chicknnhead

JD i'll be in springfield again this year in the same spots as last year...would love to sit and chat again...... stop by

JDxeper