Installing mechanical fuel pressure gauge

Started by class87, December 04, 2008, 10:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

class87

Sent: 4/11/2005 11:51 AM

I have a NOS 0-15 psi gauge. However,its probably not wise to run a sensing line (with fuel in it) to the dash...how can I hook this up; is there a transducer set up that might work e.g. fuel on one side/air pressure on the other (coach) side?

R/John

Sent: 4/11/2005 5:43 PM

If your gauge is a mechanical fuel pressure gauge, the item is called a fuel isolator. I got mine on ebay, sans the gauge, and went to about $60 to outbid the others.
If you do a search for “fuel isolator” at www.summitracing.com you will come up with a summit part # MAA-29806, for $64 At www.jegs.com if you also search for “fuel isolator” you get a selection, and they carry the Mallory isolator at the same price as summit - $64. jegs part # 650-29806. I will get my next one from one of these sources.
The isolator installs with a Tee fitting, between the fuel pump and the carburetor, or tbi if it is a newer vehicle. A hose runs from its â€"other side- to the gauge itself, and is filled completely with your choice of inert fluid; baby oil, antifreeze, beer, etc. With the isolator no pressurized fuel can get to the gauge, where it would be sprayed out under the dashboard in case the bourdon tube cracks.
Either my fuel pressure gauge or the mechanical water temperature gauge are the two best expenditures I have made, in terms of peace of mind. When the motor hiccups or balks, it is nice to know it isnt a lack of fuel, nor overheating. Driving along up and down hills, I can watch the fuel press. gauge, and see the result of gradual filter clogging. Then I can pull over and change to a new filter â€" often in the back restaurant parking lot while the family is ordering lunch for me. Takes me less than ten minutes.

Sent: 4/11/2005 10:48 PM

Fill it with BEER??  Are you nuts?  Use Perrier.  Use premium gas.  ANYTHING other than beer!

(Don't want to waste those vitamins.)