Kohler K341-71128 4.5ckm - need new electric choke

Started by jab2373, July 16, 2013, 02:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jab2373

I am needing a new electric choke for my generator, Kohler K341-71128 4.5ckm.
I haven't had any luck finding one.  The one that was on it when I bought the RV was cracked and not working. The power has gone off where I live during storms that aren't even near me, so I really need to get this thing running so I can stay cool. Its in a 77 Winnebago Chieftain. Please Help!

Stripe

Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

jab2373

Yes that looks just like it, why is it so expensive?

Stripe

Well, to be honest, I would be guessing that the price could be high due to the rarity of the part? 
I would probably be correct in guessing that the generator in your RV is the original.

If you have the time, I would do some online research, or call these guys http://www.kohlerpartstore.com/

On a side note, YAY! I beat Dave to the part on this one..   :D   Wait, how did THAT happen... ???

Fredric,

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

Oz

Let us know if you get it, install it, and if it works!
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Stripe

Quote from: DaveVA78Chieftain on July 20, 2013, 05:24 PM
LOL You used the correct search phrase

LOL, no, just lucky. You were probably asleep when the original post was made. You know me, west with no night life!
Jab, by all means let us know if you find a chea... Less expensive one and whether you install it or hire someone, take pics and give us a rundown.. :)
Fredric,

jab2373

I will, but for that price it might be a while. I wonder it I could somehow hook up a manual one?

Stripe

You absolutely can, however it all depends on how you want to hook it up.  Do you want to run the control up into your cockpit, or just have it right there at the genny and adjust it manually at startup?
You will obviously need a longer control cable if you want interior control of the generator.. And of course a way to mount it. Be it on the dash (Push-pull choke) or sideways on a bulkhead (like a mower or marine throttle).
I am pretty sure there are several universal manual choke kits available at either your local hardware store, small engine repair shop and even the bigger chains such as walmart or this one http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-55101/all  From Summit Racing. And at the Summit Racing price, you cannot go wrong.. ;)
Fredric,

ClydesdaleKevin

Try a John Deere or other tractor/lawn mower dealer.  The engines used on Kohler gennies are the same as used on the lawn mowers and tractors of similar years.  They might have one in stock at a cheaper price, or even a used one they can pull off an old motor in the back room.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

jab2373

Thanks for the advice guys, I want to become a member someday, I know its only $5 for a year but money is tight. I am going to work on making it a manual choke, I also want it to have its own gas tank the one on the RV has a faulty gas gauge.....another project someday. Thanks again for the advice.

Stripe

I hear ya on the money thing, and been there done that with the gas gauge. I dropped my tank enough to repair the wire connections and now have a working gauge again.. Quick and easy, after draining the tank of course..
Fredric,