inexpensive front curtains.

Started by JerryP, February 06, 2015, 10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JerryP

For those budget conscious individuals, who need front curtains.
My wife came up with a good idea, and ode red the stuff, and I took care of the design, and making it work
She ordered 3 heavy duty shower curtains in a light brown, of course any color but clear works.
They are a ton of advantages to the shower curtain, we have 21 bucks in them,
19.00 for the curtains from Amazon, plus 2.00 for zip ties from Harbor Freight.
They will not mold, mildew, or stain from condensation on the windshield, because they are vinyl, and made be in a wet area.

I did have to order new slider thingy's to hang them from, because old curtain sliders were dry, and the design of the old ones was junk.

A couple of things.
I used zip ties because the pleated curtain hooks do not stay in, and the shower curtain rings are too big, and will bind
Zip ties do not come loose, or fall off., and I can get 100 for 1.99, which is a lot less than shower rings
The zip ties need to be used a certain way to give a cleaner look.
clip off the excess zip tie material
Jerry P
89 Winnebago Chieftain 23RC
A work in progress

Lefty

Nice tip.
But, the shower curtain will still mold or mildew if exposed to moisture... as would any material. But, being vinyl, it can be easily cleaned with a rag and some shower mold/mildew cleaner w/ bleach... something that a fabric curtain cannot.
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

TerryH

Agree that they would still mold/mildew, and that they could be easily cleaned.

What I would wonder is how they would fare after a couple or so days of hot summer weather and direct sunshine on/through the windshield?

Also, odor as they heat up?

Let us know how they work for you, please, JerryP.
Terry
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

Lefty

I do like the zip tie idea a lot... very easy, inexpensive, and no more accidentally jamming a pin in your hand when closing the curtains.
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

brians1969

These clips from Ikea also work well -  especially if your curtain does not have any holes.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80212201/

JerryP

Looked at those, and almost bought them, but I was worried the material would slip through and irritate me to no end.

Mold, and mildew need organic material to feed on, in order to grow, and exist.
The reason plastic shower curtains get mold, and mildew on them is soap residue, or dirt particles.
So while the chance is there to get mold, and mildew to exist, it is unlikely to be any sort of issue.

The smell is a concern, but hopefully will probably dissipate, like most shower curtains do after they have been up a while.
My expectation is that the daily dose of UV light will be the problem after a couple of years.
Jerry P
89 Winnebago Chieftain 23RC
A work in progress

Winnebago Warrior 94

I got some light blocking insulated curtains to put behind my original curtains ..they will block the sun and help to keep it cooler in summer ,warmer in the winter and give privacy ..19.99 for  1 pair and all I need is one pair ..turn them sideways ..they are also the right length and width ..I'll sew the to the back of the original  curtains