What is this under my dash?

Started by rude-a-bego, May 08, 2014, 05:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rude-a-bego

Can anyone tell me what this is for sure?  I'm thinking it is a voltage reducer but not sure.
Rudy  ,':{ Ì´

legomybago

It looks like your start relay?
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Stripe

did you put a tester on it yet??
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

legomybago

Its the same shape as a start relay anyway W%  It's probably a magnaflux capacitor ???

TerryH

Not supposed to tell you this, but on pain of possible torture I will:
1. Trace the wires - you will find they go to a black box similar in size to a lunch box located above the drive shaft between the frame rails. It will have a twist lock on the cover. Do not open yet.
2.  You should see a white label on the cover. If you can't read it - road grime, etc, CAREFULLY clean the label. Failure to do so will initiate a trembler switch. You really don't want to know what happens should that occur.
3.  Label will read "IMPORTANT: SING ONE REFRAIN FOM A JIMMY BUFFET SONG BEFORE OPENING. DO NOT OPEN IF FAINT OF HEART"
4.  Sing.
5.  Open cover (if you have a Pacemaker check the batteries first)
6.  Out will pop a Jack-in -the-Box, 12 self inflating balloons, a covey of white doves, and a drop down note that says
         CONGRATULATIONS.  YOU HAVE GRADUATED FROM THE MOTOR HOME HEAD SCRATCHING ELECTRICAL SEARCH COURSE. YOU WILL SHORTLY RECEIVE A DIPLOMA IN THE MAIL. YOUR DIPLOMA IS TRANSFERABLE TO YOUR CHILDREN

7.  Sing a different refrain from a Jimmy Buffet song.
8.  Close cover. 
8A.  Go back in the coach and have a beer or three.

Hope this helps

Terry
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

M & J

A magnaflux capacitor has 4 terminals. That has 3.

It kinda looks like an illudium Q-36 explosive space modulator.
M & J

PwrWgnWalt

The larger metal 3-prong item with the red wire is a relay, commonly used on Dodge and other makes of the era. Usually for headlights and/or running lights in heavy duty applications like "Camper Special" pickup trucks.

The small rectangular item to the lower left of that looks like it might be a voltage limiter, but I cannot see it clearly enough to be sure.  This would be for dash gauges most likely.

Hope that helps some,
- Walt
Walt & Tina

Stripe

Heh, Walt and I were the only sober ones here??

So far I like all the answers though..
:D
Fredric,

rude-a-bego

Based on the devices that are connected to it (in a round about manner) and the wealth of knowledge provided by the "Peanut Gallery" - Thanks to all by the way - I am going to go with what's behind door number 3.....

I believe the large one is a relay...  more than likely a timer relay as it was connected to the warning panel that shuts off after a few moments.

I believe the smaller one is a volatage limiter...   just because Flux Capacitors usually have some kind of hazardous warning sticker on them; this does not.

I plan to test them out this weekend to verify.

legomybago

Great! I think we were on to something...I figured we'd see a schematic from Dave though

LJ-TJ

How the heck did you get up under there in the first place to see it. You got to be a Contortionist. D:oH!

M & J

Not wanting to escape the Peanut Gallery monicker,  those are commonly used as hi/low beam headlight relays.

Now, take me to your leader..
M & J

Stripe

Quote from: oldrockandroller on May 09, 2014, 12:41 PM
Now, take me to your leader..

After I take over the World that will be me... N:(
Fredric,

Oz

You have to get through "Stewie" first...
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

rude-a-bego

Ahhhh....
Hi/Low beam indicator relay; now it's all coming together.....

FYI,
I have the drivers side wall off; that is how I am able to see the "magic".  There is a lot going on under the dash.  I am actually relocating the fuse panel to the center of the dash.  It would take a contortioniust and a shoe horn to get under the dash to change a fuse...  not any more.  Stay tuned for progress pictures.

Wbago

your motor must be all fixed up if you got time to wonder about a thing BEFORE its broken lol :D

LJ-TJ

I'll be looking forward to the pic's as I have the same problem and have been struggling trying to figure out the best way to move it. Hm?

DaveVA78Chieftain

OK, I will take a picture of my Dodge fuse panel solution this weekend. Might not be purty but it is functional.  One has to remember I play, uhh investigate, to much at times.   W%

QuoteI figured we'd see a schematic from Dave though
If it ain't broke....
So far, I have never had to track down the Warning Panel circuit stuff so have never made a wiring diagram (It's Winnebago stuff, not Dodge)

Dave
[move][/move]

DaveVA78Chieftain

I unbolted the fuse panel from that nearly unaccessable position under the dash (steering column support) and mounted it in a plastic box.  Nothing fancy.  It just lays against the front floorboard.  Sure is easy to get to things though.

Like most everyone, my under dash wiring is a rats nest also.  You would have to remove the dash and do a custom wiring job to fix that.  In 78 at least, there was a false foot board panel  down there that hid all the wiring so it was not so visible.  You normally have to remove it to access anything which was a pain in itself.  I removed mine.  For extra stuff, I have also added aftermarket fuse blocks that use modern blade fuses.  I use the light on fail fuses in them.  Makes it much easier to find a blown fuse.

Dave
[move][/move]

Stripe

Quote from: DaveVA78Chieftain on May 10, 2014, 08:43 PMI use the light on fail fuses in them.  Makes it much easier to find a blown fuse.

Dave

You too?? 

One of the best investments I ever made..
Fredric,

M & J

M & J