Is There A Water Pump Feed Line?

Started by 87Itasca, April 30, 2016, 05:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

87Itasca

Hi all,

Spent the afternoon replacing g the water heater on my Itasca. It all went pretty well, and it's currently heating the water in the tank as I type.

However, like most old things, you find when you fix one problem, another needs attention.

The water holding tank on my unit evidently has a leak. It's bad enough I would imagine if I filled it, it would likely be empty come morning. It starts leaking from under the rear nearly immediately after you start adding water to the tank. It's not pouring out, but it's leaking bad enough I would t be able to use the tank until it's repaired.

My main concern is the water pump. I replaced it since the old unit was cracked when I bought it. When I switch it on, I hear a bubbling sound coming from inside the holding tank, despite the tank being full. In addition, I can never seem to purge the air from the lines. This is not a problem when hooked to the "city water" port on the other side of the coach. If I shut the faucets off, after 45 seconds or so, the pump cuts off; when the faucet is opened, water pressure is great for a few seconds, followed by air mixed with bits of water. Is there a feed tube in the tank that may have split? If so, do I access it from u derwent the bed?

Thanks all. 

Rickf1985

You have the pump in backwards. D:oH!

TerryH

Been there, done that. Threw the Tshirt away :-[
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

M & J

Also, most times there's a tank drain near the pump. It's possible it's open if you said water runs out from under the coach and nothing is inside anywhere.
M & J

Froggy1936

Or possibly it is just wired backwards  , Making it run backwards , Its a DC Current thing !  W% Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

TerryH

Good point, Frank. Same as a fan motor.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

87Itasca

Hi all,

Pretty confident it's not the pump. Went out and checked everything the last hour or so. I have 12V to the red wire off the pump, and ground going to the black wire.

I have the line coming from the tank under the bed going into the pump on the side with the arrow going towards the pump. I have the other line going towards the sinks/shower coming out of the side with the arrow pointing away from the pump.

Rickf1985

It sounds like everything is in order with the pump so the problem would appear to be the plumbing at the tank. But just to be sure I would disconnect both side of the pump and turn it on and see if you have suction on the tank side, put a finger over the disconnected line and see if there is a light pull on the line. If so hook that line back up but leave the other one disconnected and pointing into a pan or bucket, improvise a tube if need be and turn the pump on and see if you get water. If you do then there is a blockage of some sort in the lines but I am thinking the problem may lie in the pump or in the tank. There are not many lines for the tank. Is it a gravity fill or a pressure fill tank? If it is a pressure fill tank then the valve out on the fill area of the tank has to be in the right position or the pump will not deliver water to the coach, this does not sound like the issue since in the wrong position it just recirculates it back to the tank.

M & J

Ours does nearly the same thing if the tank drain is open. It's between the tank and pump. Is why I asked if the drain might be open given the symptoms.
M & J

87Itasca

Hi all,

M&J hit the nail on the head. The tank drain under the mattress was left open.  :-[ :-[

I bought it in January, and the guy I bought it from never used it. I didn't even think the tank drain would be somewhere like that. It makes sense, but I never thought about it. Pushed the pin down, the tank holds water, and everything works great!

M & J

:D love it when a plan comes together!  :)clap :)ThmbUp
M & J