Installing an Auxilliary Fuel Tank - (on single tank equipped RV)

Started by LJ-TJ, July 15, 2011, 11:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LJ-TJ

Hey Gang, hate to bug ya butttttttt. I'm going to install an Aux fuel tank in the rear of the Winnie. I have a tank, a solenoid and a switch and the one fuel gauge, existing one. Can some one explain how I can hook it up. Thanks.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Ask and ye shall recieve   :laugh:

http://cdn.wildhorses4x4.com/downloads/9720%2011-8-07.pdf

Dave

PS:  For you fancy dancy EFI based installations with a fuel line return:
http://pollak.thomasnet.com/Asset/IS-41_b.pdf
[move][/move]

DaveVA78Chieftain

Just renembered something TJ.
You have to have a 10 to 90 ohm sending unit in order to use the stock gas gauge.  Both sending units have to match the gauge being used.  If you do change out the gauges then you may have to change sending nits also.

Dave
[move][/move]

LJ-TJ

Yah! Thanks Dave. The existing gas gauge only reads 3/4 full when the tank is full and I'm tired of screwing around trying to figure out what to do or how to fix it so I thought I'd just put the aux tank on with a new sending unite and gauge. If it works then I may try to replace the original with a new gauge and sending unite. I can't get an accurate reading on the speedometer so I thought I'd pull it and replace it with an after market. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Auto-Meter-Ultra-Lite-Series-Speedometer-4496-/370527834192?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item56452e1050  Hm?

DaveVA78Chieftain

Your gas gauge problem (3/4 full) is most likely a low reference voltage issue.  You should be able to fix that cheaply by replacing the gauge voltage regulator as described here:
http://www.allpar.com/history/mopar/electrical2.html

JD did this awhile back:
http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?topic=3559.0

Dave
[move][/move]

JDxeper

I made one but my fingers are not made to do fine work.  Found this super cool regulator from one of TJ favorite places, Kansas.

http://www.kansasselectproducts.com/servlet/the-10/5V-INSTRUMENT-VOLTAGE-REGULATOR/Detail

A real easy fix, even an old man can do it!
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

DaveVA78Chieftain

Cool, they took all the work out of doing the regulator job!
:)clap

Dave
[move][/move]

LJ-TJ

Been down with a bad back this week. The question I for got to ask is when I install the electric selector switch to I mount it vertical or horizontally?  Hm?

DaveVA78Chieftain

I do not think it really matters.  They are sealed.  Most people install them with the plastic end on the top but it is not a  requirement as far as I know.  The vacuum that the fuel pump creates does not care.  The switching motor/solinoid in the valve should not care either.
Only thing I have seen is in that instruction sheet I posted the link to is it says horizontal is preferred however I think the drawing in that sheet shows it in a verticle position.   Hm?

Dave
[move][/move]

LJ-TJ

Thanks Dave, appreciate all your help. That's what I thought but as I've said in the past. The only dumb question is the one ya don't ask.   :)ThmbUp

DaveVA78Chieftain

Your welcome.
BTW if your cleaning the new tank before installing then don't forget the inside of the pickup tube can rust also.  I am going to use stranded wire to snake back and forth in mine to clean it out.

Dave 
[move][/move]

LJ-TJ

Didn't think of that  D:oH! ....Good one. To many other things to think of so I don't forget something. Thanks

Froggy1936

Hi TJ  You had better clean and paint that tank with  rust stopper and preventitive   Or you will have leaks soon due to rust on the outside   make shure you use wide enough and strong enough straps  Good Luck  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

LJ-TJ

Thanks Frank, hope to get at it tomorrow. 110 deg in Canada to day.....KILLER no air. Not even in the new Winnie.

LJ-TJ

Just me again? Is there any trick to running the fuel lines? I have to run mine down the frame rail on the opposite side to the existing fuel line and then bring it across  on a cross member and then on to the solenoid. I was also thinking of putting a fuel filter on each line before the solenoid and then one fuel filter on the single line leaving the solenoid up to the pump on the carb? Hm?.

Froggy1936

You can run fuel lines wherever just make shure they are protected from exaust heat,moving parts and not on the bottom of the frame (floor jacks) Copper tubeing is the easiest , Steel is best but harder to work with reinforced rubber is also ok but also has to be protected from constant rubbing and sharp edges and cant be used with fuel injection (high pressure) The extra filters are ok but increase expense and in case of a blockage its harder to find the clogged one also close proximity to exaust or downwind from very hot pipe can cause vaporlock Frank

LJ-TJ

:)ThmbUp Good stuff Frank, just what I was hoping to hear. If the back will let me I may take a run at it tomorrow. FUEL filters.... cheaper than a carb job or a fuel pump. Thanks mate,looking forward to seeing you again.

LJ-TJ

Well Lads I'm at the point of cutting the fuel lines to install the Solenoid but before I do I need the final inspection. What to you think of the location. The single on the left goes to the pump. The other two go to the aux tank and main. What I'm real interested in is do you think it's ok to put the solenoid in up side down.  Hm? oh also its on the passangers side rail.

DaveVA78Chieftain

I do not see anything wrong with what you are doing.

Dave
[move][/move]

LJ-TJ

Your my man Dave thanks  :)clap I'll be cutting the fuel lines tomorrow. I bought some steel line today. Thanks a again.

LJ-TJ

What's that old saying "It seemed like a good idea at the time." Thanks to Dave and the gang I finally made a decision on the placement of the solenoid and installed it today. Also went with steel fuel line. Soooo tomorrow I run and hook up the fuel lines and tank. Then hopefully the wiring for the separate fuel gauge. Maybe by Tuesday we'll be doing the test run.13 days to go.

LJ-TJ

Froggy1936

Hi TJ Tank looks good, but ,hate to mention it now but better than after its filled. You need a insulator between the angle iron and the tank to stop rub thru Thick gasket paper or firehose type insulator look at existing tank  Frank

Froggy1936

P.S. Also double nut each end of the threded rods  Frank

LJ-TJ

Ok Boys understanding I don't know if my bum is punched, bored or sucking wind when it comes to this stuff  Hm? here's the almost finished product. The orange wire is an extension cord I used to run along the chassis to hook up the new fuel gauge. The fuel line is steel except were I joined  the fuel tank to the fuel line and were I joined the fuel filters to the fuel line. So speak now or forever hold your piece as I'll be bolting every thing in place tomorrow. Aaaaaaaaaa.  >GRIN<