Strange noise in front end at low speeds

Started by jleo313, July 30, 2012, 09:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jleo313

I have a repetitive noise coming from my 1987 Itasca when I let off the gas pedal and coast along at low speeds.  Sounds almost like something is rubbing over and over.  If I depress the brake pedal the noise goes away.  I also find that when I turn the steering wheel to the right or left while moving the noise seems to occur more readily. There is not a foreign object underneath that i see that is rubbing.

When the engine is at idle there is no noise, it only happens when I am moving.  I drove up to 60 mph yesterday and everything seems to be fine, it is just when I slow down to 5-15 mph that I hear the noise.

I am not that mechanically inclined, but I am thinking something to do with the steering/front end...

ClydesdaleKevin

Really sounds like a front wheel bearing to me.  Jack up both sides, or one at a time, and spin the wheel...should be smooth as butter.  Shake the wheel too, holding it at 12 and 6 and seeing if there is any play at all...there should be none at the spindle (although it may move a bit at the steering knuckle, which is normal).

The symptoms you are describing never happened to any of my motorhomes, but it sounds EXACTLY like what our old Chevy cargo van was doing when the wheel bearing was on its way out.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

jleo313

Thank you for the reply!  I am hoping it is a bearing, as that would be an easy fix.  I did have the front brakes done a couple weeks ago.  He repacked the bearings, but did not replace.