Change from Dually to single wheel rear axle

Started by Madathlon, February 19, 2011, 07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madathlon

I did a search and couldnt find quite the right answer, So here the Questions.

First has anyone changed from Dually set up to Single.

And what wheels did you use for the switch.
Madathlon
   CWO4 Motor Pool Chief (retired)
   Onan Master Installer/Service Tech
   Mercury Marine Golden Wrench
   OMC Master Marine Tech
   ASE Master Tech

jkilbert

Cakeman's Brave has singles all the way around but then again he did a 4x4 conversion using  Ford axles. He might be able to point you in the right direction
Greetings from the steel buckle of the rust belt

Froggy1936

The basic reason for the dual tires is to carry all that weight safely  Single wheels are not safe! For 1 ton chassis.  They are not over engineered. 4 tires are neccessary.
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Oz

The owner of the Blue Whale is using a single axle rear... along with a 4x4 unit.  However, this rig is specifically used for the beach.  The owner has stated it would not be appropriate for "typical" RVing use.

The early Winnies... on the Ford chassis... 17' & 18', did have single wheel rear axles.  But, again, they were considerably lighter than our more common, 19' and up rigs. 

A 20 rig is right at the in-between so I'd do some very serious technical research before deciding on making this conversion.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Madathlon

Ahh, I see, I had gotten the idea from the newer design tires and wheels coming out on big rigs now. I dont know if you all have noticed but a lot are changing over to a single wide tire from the dually set ups.
Madathlon
   OMC Master Marine Tech
   ASE Master Tech

JDxeper

I also thought about going the large wide single tire route.  Lots of tires available to carry the rig weight  but cost for new rims and the cost of the tires were more than I wanted to invest.  Sometimes on these old rigs the lugs and hub hole are hard to find a rim to fit.  I gave up the idea because of cost.  N:(  Still like the idea.  Hm?
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

ibdilbert01

Hmmm...  I don't like the idea at all.    If I blow a dully now, I have its neighbor to assist me getting off to the side of the road.   If I had one wide tire, I'd have to change both the wide tire, and my pants after the short amusement ride.  Also you'd have to carry two spares, one for the wide tire, and one for a front tire.
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

Madathlon

Ya, With all the room under the Winnie I can fit a real good wide tire under each side. I even found wheel that take the super wide trailer tires that 10 lug 19in wheel with a -3 offset. I can machine an adapter for it making the offset 0 matching the Factory set offset the same.

The wides run a run flat insert in them

Madathlon
   OMC Master Marine Tech
   ASE Master Tech

ibdilbert01

A run-flat insert puts the safety back into mix.  I've actually seen a semi cab with wide tires instead of dulls.
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

Madathlon

Yes, I seen a few of those also. Its what has really peaked my interest.
Madathlon
   OMC Master Marine Tech
   ASE Master Tech

Froggy1936

OH NO !  Another sign that the world is passing me by . Wide tires replaceing duels.  its like the end of rotary phones. and incandesant light bulbs.
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.