Source for 8 x 17.5 non split rims (Budd)

Started by MSN Member, August 16, 2009, 10:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MSN Member

Sent: 8/29/2005

I have a 1976 Chieftain with bent rims!  I very much NEED to change them out, are these rims available new or used?  I have read other messages in this group about using 16.5 rims, but it is unclear if this will work due to clearance around the drum and caliper.  Can anyone help with ideas?  This is Dodge running gear with coined rims.

Thanks for any help

Tim

denisondc

Probably available both new and used:
Those 17.5 size wheels were used on a lot of RVs, and might still be available new with some searching â€" but it is not the wheel size your local truck wheel outlet is likely to have in stock! You can probably find them used in some salvage yards having RVs or light trucks from the late 70s, early 80’s. If you were to pull them off the vehicle yourself you would be getting them at the least expensive price. If you don’t have any such salvage yards near you, I imagine www.azrvinc.com would have them, but they are likely to carry a higher price, since they specialize in old RV parts, and it is not a high volume business, and they are saving you the trouble of dealing with the fire ants, black widow spiders, or snakes or chiggers.
You could try the website of www.ricksontruck.com. They are in a suburb of Baltimore Md, and might have some of these wheels. They also might have wheels to fit that 8 bolt alternate-coined pattern in a size for 19.5 inch tires, as that is sort of their specialty. The 19.5 tires would not necessarily be much larger in diameter than your 17.5 tires are. I have 7.50-17s on my winny, and the 19.5 tires are the same circumference.
Aside from the matter of brake drum and caliper clearance, I wouldn’t go to a smaller diameter wheel/tire unless I knew the wheels, and the tires to fit it, had the load capacity to handle the weight of your chieftain, plus some margin. That’s one of the common reasons for going to 19.5s.
And check the listings on the resources page - the link is on the left side of the home page screen.
Welcome to the group, and let us know how it goes….

Weavebago

when we first got the weavebago we needed a spare 8x17.5 rim and found them at a place in Colorado called Cherokee RV they wanted like $35-45ea + shipping. we ended up finding the donor-bago and it had 7 of them! just ask Tom(Slantsixness/Smurfbago)you can probably find them somewhere near you used.depending on where you are I know of like 3 winnies around me(Delaware by the Maryland line) that could be had for parts(not sure what size wheels they have but I could check)

enigma960080

Tim,  it might  be  helpful if you  posted  your location....  you  never know    someone  near you  may have  what you need  or  may know of a source  near you
2000 Fleetwood Southwind 32V--deceased
2001 National RV Dolphin M-5332

Weavebago

Sent: 8/30/2005

I looked everywhere for the best price on tires for 8x17.5 rims and I finally found them at a truck tire place(big trucks not pick-up trucks ect)they said $129 ea. installed for Firestone. haven't bought them yet,more pressing concerns(like the engine!)but when I'm ready thats where I'm going to go.

jkilbert

be careful when buying tires because 17.5 tires are also used on lowboy trailers. i found that some of these have a different bead that is only good on the trailer split rim
Greetings from the steel buckle of the rust belt