Where do I place jack to change tire?

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 28, 2008, 10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 9/21/2004 9:25 PM

I have a '72 D22 on my parking lot and  both passenger side real duals went flat overnite.  Don't know if some numbskull let the air out or what, but I think the bead is broke for sure as they are REALLY flat.  I believe these are the original tires.  I've never had to change a flat before on Winney & I'm not sure where the jack should be placed.  Can someone give me the correct procedure for changing a flat?  Dennison sent me detailed instructions on changing the actual tire after getting the wheel off a long time ago, which I carry with me in the motorhome, but I need help on getting the wheels off.  I'll probably take them to a tire shop after I get them off, and hope that they'll work on split rims.  Thanks in advance for any advice.  Photoman

Sent: 9/21/2004 9:30 PM

Photoman,
Best place to place the jack is on the piece that holds the leaf spring ( plate with blot through it) and jack the body. Make sure you use a 2 stands for safety after jacking, you only need to get them off the ground as little as possible......
Timmy

Sent: 9/23/2004 6:46 AM

You have probably already done your tire removal, but like cooneytunes said, jacking up from that spring shackle forging is fine. Also from the frame rail. You need to jack the frame up, so the body will be high enough above the tire for them to clear the wheel arch. If you jack the axle up you wont be able to get the tire/wheel out past the arch in the body. At least I cant.
The tire bead will be all-right. Just being flat for a day or two wont hurt the tire - if it wasnt already really really overage and weathered. It would be very unusual if you had an original tire on a 72. It would mean someone kept the RV indoors in a dark windowless garage!
After jacking it up, and before removing that inner tire, I place pieces of lumber, 6 by 6 inches by about 2 feet long, in a pyramid to hold the frame up. My preference is to put the jack under the frame behind the rear axle, and the pyramid of lumber under the frame ahead of the axle - thats just more convenient for me usually. Then after the inner wheel nuts are loose, and before I take the wheel off, I arrange a thinner piece of wood between the frame and my pyramid of lumber, and let the jack down so the jack isn't the only thing holding the RV up. Jackstands work just as well if you are on concrete. My driveway is gravel, and therefore jackstands would need to have a solid base of wood anyway - or the ground might give enough for them to topple. 

Sent: 9/23/2004 7:11 AM

I forgot to say; the first thing to do is to chock the wheels on the far side of the motorhome, so it can not roll, and drop off your jack. 

Sent: 9/23/2004 8:15 AM

I'm suprised Rick didn't beat you to the punch on that one, Dave -  - Sob

Sent: 9/23/2004 2:24 PM

Whew!!

Sent: 9/23/2004 11:53 PM

Thanks.  I knew I could count on you guys.  I haven't tackled the job yet.  I need to get either jack stands or lumber to do the job.  My Winnie is on an asphalt lot and it's been flat for several days now.  The tires aren't in very good shape, so I'll probably buy new.  I do think they are the original nylon tires as she only has 35,000 miles on her and has been kept in a garage all these years.  Wish I had a garage big enuf for her now.  Photoman

Sent: 9/24/2004 6:50 AM

If you could take a photo of the tread on those original tires I would be glad to see it. That way I can buy that tread if I find it on a new tire. This is part of my originality interest. Not a fetish, just an interest.

If you are going to use jackstands on an ashpalt lot, I would put a steel plate under each jackstand, so it doesnt dimple into the pavement in a day or two - or even a scrap of 3/4 plywood.