Sources for 8R x 17.5 tires

Started by MSN Member, January 15, 2009, 07:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

enigma960080

2000 Fleetwood Southwind 32V--deceased
2001 National RV Dolphin M-5332

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 4/12/2005

While calling several tire shops looking and comparing prices for tires I was told about a metric tire to look at.  It is a 215/75/17.5 made by Hankook.  I was told it is 1/4" shorter and 1" wider that the 8x17.5 and is being used on some newer small trucks.  I am still looking into this before buying but has anyone else checked this out?   Les

Wendell

Sent: 6/2/2005

I bought the 215/75/17.5 radial tires.  I bought Wanli brand tires from a local dealer here.  These tires are used on school buses as well as other applications.  This dealer supplies them for the local school district here, so he has plenty of them in stock. I was a bit worried about the spacing between them on the dual rear wheels, but there seems to be plenty of space between them. 

They are a little stiff due to the fact that they have a higher load rating, but I feel much safer as they are rated to carry much more weight than the older 8x17.5 I had before.   

Slantsixness

Sent: 6/6/2005

I went with Denman 8-17.5 bias tires. Why? cause they were Cheap, and my winnie's always had bias plys. So why change? I don't even have a front anti-sway bar like you lucky guys with '73-up winnies...!

Tom
Remembering My 72 D20RG Brave "Smurfbago" The old girl never let me down, and she's still on the road today. quick! get out the Camera... I spotted another junkyard full of Winnies...

intofire1

Sent: 7/22/2005

Hi,

New tires purchase today for a total of $896.23 for six Yoko 8R17.5. Best price in the Los Angeles area after calling alot of shops. American Tire Depot, 14100 Rosecrans ave. Santa Fe Springs, CA, 906070. Phone (562) 921-8372  This place was recommend from the site Tire Rack. I checked the tire date and they are 6 months old. Not cheap but fill safer. Thanks Gil

Oz

I was sitting in the doctor's office, reading the Dec. issue of "Trailer Life" and looking at an article on a new model, top-of-the-line, 5th wheel.   This is a 38" model, with two full-sized slide outs, and fully equipped.  Very heavy unit.   I noticed in the specs that it's equipped with 215/17.5 tires (is this size comparable to 8R/17.5?).  Since this rig comes with that size tire, I'd assume that other, large 5th wheels do too.  And, if it's interchangeable with the 8R,  we may have still be able to get these size tires yet...
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Rogerslvnv

Those would be great as long as they are light truck tires and not "trailer" tires. I don't think we can run trailer tires on an RV.

Oz

That's why I mentioned the size of the 5th wheel... 38', two slides and fully loaded with all options (tons of which were never options on ours, like a side-by side fridge, washer/dryer, etc., and it's wood framed and floored, with fiberglass siding, which is heavier than our aluminum)   It's HEAVY.  Heavier than my D24.  And, with the cost of 19" and larger tires being so expensive and smaller being too weak for the weight, our old 17.5" size fits the bill?

i??

BigSarge

So far so good after 800 mile round trip on Hercules brand.
YOU EAT LIFE OR LIFE EATS YOU.

jkilbert

the Yokohama's that i bought last year seem to be doing the trick.  3 trips out  the brave handles well and they don't seem to heat up much.  i believe they were around 160 each, mounted and balanced. but since then our fine gov't has enacted a 30% tariff on all imported tires so i'm sure the prices have gone up since then
Greetings from the steel buckle of the rust belt

JDxeper

Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

Oz

Very nice description, JD... "trendy"... I like that.
It makes you feel like your getting a set of designer, Gucci tires.

:laugh:

pvoth1111

We call our coach "Charlie Brown"

Oz

I only found one eBay listing as of today:  free ship - $210 each. 9 available.  10 ply, load range E.  Not exactly a good deal compared to other sources and you'd still have to pay for mounting and balancing.

eBay -  tires for motor homes in this size... very rarely (unless you want trailer tires).   Not really a good source on a regular basis, but you can find them once in a while.