Removing & replacement upper radiator hose

Started by jeno, April 27, 2015, 03:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeno

ok so i got the lower air pump off and i poked a hole in the upper hose. how do you get it off the radiator side? i guess i could cut it off but how to get the new one on but then tighten the clamp? i dont see any numbers or names on the hose does anyone know what hose that is so that at least i can pick one up tomorrow thanks for any help. I WANT TO GET THIS DONE SO I CAN GO CAMPING

circleD

I can't remember the #s but any advance auto will look it up. Just remember to tell them its a Motor Home!!! Its wise to cut the old one off because the neck on the radiator could break or bend due to age. Then clean the radiator necks and slide the new one on with clamps.

jeno

i think you're right im going to cut old one off but when i put on the new one how do i get in there to tighten the clamp? can't even fit a stubby screwdriver in there.

TerryH

Speed (ratchet) wrench?
Offset screw driver - keep reversing ends?
1/4" ratchet, extension, universal and socket?
Mechanic's mirror may help, also suggest you take the old hose with you to the store. New clamps are cheap and a good idea - keep the old for emerg. spares.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

Rickf1985

And I use Permatex #3 aviation sealant on the hoses. It keeps the water neck on the engine from corroding and if it already is it keeps it from leaking. Makes the hose a lot easier to get on and off later if you have to. I can reach in from the front over the radiator and get hold of my hose, just remember that you are working backwards. On is towards you.

jeno

circleD

When you work on an RV by yourself, you might have to constantly move from one spot to another to put parts on. You can reach the top from the inside then crawl under there and tighten the lower one. Might check other hoses to see if they need replacing also since you'll have the coolant drained.

Rickf1985

If you mean did they have the permatex then yes they did. If it is a box store auto parts place like Auto Zone I don't know but NAPA or the smaller stores will have it. Do NOT let them sell you the #1 or #2 and say it is just as good! You will NEVER get it off!!!

jeno

great good to know i had to order the hose so it will be here in a few days ill run up and look for it thanks again