No 12v power from coach Batteries or 110v from converter

Started by LVLFNXS, February 05, 2010, 12:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LVLFNXS

Sent: 4/13/2004

Hey guys,  I have traced each wire from the coach battery, checked and replaced the solenoid(isolator), checked the in-line breaker on the wire to the converter, and replaced all the battery cables, and I still have NO 12 volt power from the coach battery.  No 110 from the converter either.  How do I check to see if the converter is working?  I heard that there is a relay IN the converter that flips when you go off of 12 volt power from shore power.  Tell me about that.  Well, I hope to get this taken care of soon.

Erik

denisondc

As far as I recall --- on mine, when there is no 110v power into the converter, the relay in it just grounds the "negative" side of the coach lighting circuits to the chassis, instead of connecting them to what would be the 12v "negative" output from the converter. The 12volt "positive" side of the coach lighting circuits are always connected (through the coach fuse block) to the "positive" side of the coach battery and to what would be the 12volt 'positive" output of the converter if it were on. Therefore the coach battery powers the lights when the converter is off. Once on a vacation this relay hung up halfway, and I had no 12volt lights at any time. After finding it inside the converter -I had to take the case off- I cleaned its contacts and it worked again. When the converter has 110volts going into it, it produces 12v power, and the relay disconnects the "negative" side of the lighting circuits from the chassis, and connects them to the "negative" side of the converter 12v output. There was also a 110volt fuse inside the converter that went bad once. It took me a long time to find that problem too, as I had no useful coach wiring diagram. Your may be wired up entirely different. My converter for instance, does not charge either battery, and never did.

LVLFNXS

OK denision,  Thank you for the information.  I found the problem with the 12 volt battery power.  It was a fuse INSIDE the converter that was bad.  NOW, is there an inverter on-board?  Or, when I am on coach battery, none of my receptacles work?  Is that the way it is suppose to work?  Thank you for your information and advice again.

Erik

DaveVA78Chieftain

Sent: 4/14/2004

Conrats Erik.  I know it's been a struggle getting there.  Do you get 12VDC from the battery when 110VAC is not available?  12VDC is from the converter when you have shore power available.

These rigs did not come with an inverter so unless someone added one, you would not have 110VAC available unless you had shore power hooked up or were using a generator.

Dave
[move][/move]

Spudboy

Sent: 4/14/2004

Erik:

Unless you are a wire nut, the original setup in your MH will not give 110V power unless you are hooked up to shore power via an extension cord or are running off your generator.

I went to Schucks and bought a little inverter (about $30) that plugs into the lighter to run my 19" TV/DVD off the coach batteries (seems like I get about 4 hours, before I have to re-charge by driving somewhere or starting up the generator).  I also use the TV/DVD while driving as my stereo since it plays audio CD's as well (still running off the inverter).

My coach batteries seem to hold a charge pretty well, but engine battery is never reliable.  I think I must have a continuous draw on it, that I haven't been able to find/fix.  I carry an extra charged battery in the generator compartment for an emergency start...when you are 40 miles off-road at your favorite fishing spot and the rig won't start, a very sickening feeling comes over you and your buddies can smell the fear!

Spudboy

76PRROW

There was no house battery. I connected a car battery to test but im not getting any power in the coach. Where do I start?

TerryH

Coach/start batteries are just that. Check your manual or search here for MOM switch. Start battery will not power the coach. Coach batteries may be used on a dedicated basis for engine starting if needed.
All of the above are tied into other systems, so my suggestions are starting points and familiarization points only.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

76PRROW

Just to clarify, I had an extra normal starting battery that I was using to temporarily power the house side of the RV. I understand I run the risk of ruining the battery because its not made to be drained repeatedly. But for a dry run of the electrical system I know the voltage and amps are sufficient.i believe I hooked it up properly. There is a secondary battery tray in the forward engine bay that has screw on terminals instead of car battery post connectors. Im pretty sure that is meant for the house battery. I connected the temporary car battery and tested the leads with a multimeter to ensure I was getting voltage from the battery and I was. But nothing powers on in the coach. I have tested everything on shore power and located the converter so I know stuff on the 12 volt side works. But not on battery. I chased the wires from the battery as far as I could but did not find anything that looked like a switch. I checked the fuses and the breakers and didnt find anything out of the ordinary. What gives? For now when I spend time in the coach i disconnect all batteries because I am paranoid of electrical fires since the electrical system seems to not work very well. I think I need an electrician.

Elandan2

There are others here that can probably answer this question better than I can, but it sounds like the relay in your converter is not operating.  There is a relay that switches the 12 volt source from the converter to battery power when you are not plugged in to shore power.  Older converters had a simple manual switch to change from converter to battery, but that you had to remember to switch it, otherwise the 12 volt would be running off the battery all the time.  The relay is an automatic system, but if they are not used for some time, they can stick.  Rick 
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

76PRROW

DaveVA78Chieftain

Need to know what brand/model power center do you have.

Dave
[move][/move]