Transmission warning light on

Started by Clyde9, November 13, 2008, 12:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clyde9

Sent: 4/18/2006 9:13 PM

while idling for long periods in the yard the trans light comes on.. as soon as i shift into gear it will go out. the fluid level is good..it never comes on while driving..is this normal or should i be lookin for a problem?

First  Previous  2-7 of 7  Next  Last  Delete Replies

Recommend (1 recommendation so far)   Delete    Message 2 of 7 in Discussion
From: MSN NicknameEnigma960080   Sent: 4/18/2006 10:36 PM
As I recall   the  fluid  level  light  ONLY  registers  when  in Park or Neutral...  At  least  thats  what my  old Chieftain  did...   Pull that  cover  and  check your  fluid  NOW!!!!!!

Sent: 4/19/2006 8:11 AM

It is my understanding that you really do not want to let the engine sit at idle for extended periods with the transmission in park (like using alternator to charge batteries).  The transmission oil pump pressure is very low (5-30lbs) under those conditions which can result in damage to the transmission.  Pump pressure is close to normal (55-90lbs) operating pressure in neutral (55lbs).

Dave

Sent: 4/19/2006 10:04 AM

can it be left in neutral without damage or overheating?

Sent: 4/19/2006 4:57 PM

I would use neutral before I would use park.  I am going to rebuild mine which I believe got messed up (slipping) because I ran it in park for extended periods recharging the batteries.

Sent: 4/20/2006 9:05 AM

The dipstick is only correct when running, Warm (or hot) and in NEUTRAL.

If the transmission light comes on (for those of you with the wired dipstick) STOP!
GET OUT and ADD FLUID.

Heat and low fluid are two of the very few things that can kill a 727.

(And Dave's right.... idling in Park will overheat the transmission, especially if your idle is set above 1000 RPM....idle in NEUTRAL, even in heavy traffic or waiting too long (over 5 min) at a traffic light or park entrance)

Sent: 4/20/2006 2:09 PM

About idling with the tranny in Drive....since I installed my aux. tranny oil temp cooler, the ONLY time the tranny oil has gotten above 180 degrees was on a mild day, in the city streets of Chattanooga at rush hour, towing a car behind us. We moved so slowly there was no air flow through that aux. cooler..
We were only doing it to find the children's hospital - as my 5 month old grandson seemed to have an ear infection. We found the hosp, and he was all right.