Shift Cable Source

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 19, 2008, 11:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Handier_Man1

Original Message Posted by:   abnrngr86

Just Bought a 72 Winnabago Brave and at time of Purchase the Shifter Cable Was Broke....took some of your advice and Sent Dartman67 an email....the oem number and he came back with a Price of 111.50....searched for 3 days and found another site...www.chryslerpartsdirect.com and was quoted the price of 88.00....  Hope this might help any one else out with the same problem.....abnrngr86...

Sent: 12/20/2004 10:47 PM

Excellent!  Let us know if it works.  Can you tell us if they have other goodies like brake and suspension parts? - Sob

Sent: 1/1/2005 7:35 PM

used oem number in your message...3641-309   ..when i ordered the part...endend up getting a 8 1/2 ft shifter cable with threaded end and eyelet end....for my 72 winnie...i would need the eyelets on both ends does anyone know the oem number for this.????

Sent: 1/2/2005 7:47 AM

The shifter cable I got from dartman67 a few years back may not have had that eyelet for the bottom end either, I cant recall. That part is called a Clevis in the parts catalog, but there is no mopar 7 digit part number listed, as far as I could find. The parts catalog is great, but not perfect. When I go to change shifter cables I would just unscrew the clevis from the old cable and put it on the new cable. There is also a locknut that goes on behind it, to keep the cable from trying to unscrew from it and upset the adjustment for proper shifter action.
A threaded clevis fork is a fairly standard hardware item; I would think a good hardware store would either carry some, or would be able to order one as small as you need. You would need to know the thread size, probably an 8-24 or 10-24 or some fine thread of that nature. It is possible a speed shop would have them, since the 727 transmissions were used on lots of muscle cars. Its also the type of part that might be in the array of useful small parts in the bubble packs on the wall of an auto parts store. And you might find one in any salvage yard that had a dodge pickup or car or van, probably any year from 1964 to 1984. The clevis you want is probably under 2 inches long.
If I didn't already have one on my tranny I would probably make up one, with my gas welding stuff, unless I had a need to drive to the hardware store anyway.