battery drain from converter?

Started by MSN Member, October 19, 2009, 03:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TerryCarolannUnger

Sent: 02/04/2008

Hi guys, This is a very interesting subject for  me ( about converters) Winne the pew has a big thirst for 12 volt DC can drain 2 RV batteries over night! And that is without anything running! There seems to be a big draw from the converter is that possible? And if so what can I do about it? Thanks Terry

denisondc

The converter should not draw any current from the batteries at all - or perhaps a few micro-amps. Converters are the things that run off of 115 volt a.c. and produce 12 volt d.c.
Inverters on the other hand are the things that convert 12 volts DC to 115 volt a.c. An Inverter will have some draw on a battery anytime it is hooked up and turned on - even if the inverter is not powering anything.
If its a converter that is drawing current, then it must have a bad diode or a bad regulator circuit in it. I know there are units that have both a converter and an inverter in them, but they are fairly new - at least compared with the equipment in my 72 Winny.
I would start by getting the battery fully charged, then hooking it into the circuit, but with an ammeter in series with one of the battery terminals and the battery cable that connected to that terminal. See what the reading is: it shouldn't even be 1 milliamp. Then begin disconnecting items until you see which was is responsible. This could be done just by opening 12 volt breakers and pulling out 12 volt fuses.

AlbuqHenry

One tip on looking for a draw is you can use a basic circuit tester (test light), (looks like a screwdriver with a bulb in the handle and has a wire).  Hook this up in series also, if the bulb lights you have a draw.