Battery Hook Up Puzzels me!

Started by TITANOSAURUS, April 06, 2010, 10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TITANOSAURUS

Hi guys I have a 1975 Winnibago Indian , I recent cleaned out the Battery Bay because it was corroded and rusty. I cleaned the Battery Bay and removed the batteries. My brother in law saw the Red and Black cable hook ups for the two batteries and was puzzled as to why the Red and Black cables have been wired together for both batteries.

Does anyone have any tips for this problem?, do I just hook up the Red (Positive) with positive and Black (Negative ) with the negative. Will the batteries blow up?

What my brother in law said the cables are crossed and he never saw that before, PLS Help because I want to start the Winnibago because it has been sitting for 4 years. Thanks.

ClydesdaleKevin

Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

TITANOSAURUS

Thanks a million , the last thing I need is having the batteries blow up on me.
I will try this on the weekend.

angrybreadbox73

also first things first our rigs are negative grounding so if you follow the wires to where they terminate you will see one wire goes to the frame and or engine the other wire goes to a junction relay for starting charging ect some ppl have and will put wrong color wires to the wrong pole soo that is why id start chasing wires to be most defineately sure
soo many bagos so little time

LJ-TJ

You should have four cables. Two black. Two Red. Yes,No? Follow the two black wires. They may go to a bolt that is welded or bolted to the side of the battery compartment. Those are your ground wires. They go to the ground or negative side (-)on your battery. Follow one red wire. It should go to your starter. That cable goes to your Plus (+) side of your battery. You should now have power to your starter. Hit the ignition switch and the engine should kick over. Take the other red battery cable and hook it up to your second battery and that should give you power to you 12 volt system that works your interior coach lights.