Engine stops when the generator is turned on

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 24, 2008, 10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 1/21/2006 11:20 PM

ENGINE WAS RUNNING FINE ! THEN I PUT GENERATOR ON ENGINE STALLED. THE ENGINE TURNS OVER AND HAS A SPARK COMING FROM COIL WIRE AND HAS FUEL IN CARB. I CHECKED ALL FUSES AND STILL WONT START . ANYBODY HAVE ANY IDEA' S . I HAD BATTERY SWITCH ON MONO AND CONVERTER ON OFF.

Sent: 6/27/2003 6:43 PM

Tom,you switched to MOMO,not MONO.This switch is well covered here on board.You momentarily tied the genny power 12volt and alternator power 12volt together.OUCH!You probably fried some wires or circuits together,dont even know where to start.Do you have a spark to plugs?First thought is electronic ignition would fry,maybe voltage regulator,maybe alternator,maybe fusible link( not sure about that one if spark to coil).My  switch also has an automobile fuse on it,that needs to be checked too.Hopefully Denison can walk you thru this,he is a whiz on this stuff.
Bad move,Tom.

Sent: 6/28/2003 11:10 PM

that denison character is being over-rated. I think your winnebago is a 75 with the 318? It would have the electronic ignition then, and the diagrams I have only go up to 1973 - Im not sure if the 75 would be the same. You should pull off a plug wire, run it to an spare plug, with the normal electrode gap widened to maybe 1/4 inch, and let the body of the plug short to the intake manifold. Then crank the engine over and you should see a healthy spark from that plug. This would tell you there is a spark, and more or less at the right time. And if there is fuel in the carb it should at least try to start - though it might not keep running when you release the key. There are two ignition related circuits coming from the ignition switch. One is for normal running, the other one is only on when you have the switch twisted into the starting position and the starter is cranking it over. They can misbehave separately - though it is rare. If the fusible link was blown, I would think the starter would not operate at all. In other words I don't have any real ideas on the cause of your problem. Does your engine have the mechanical fuel pump, or an electric one? denison

Sent: 6/29/2003 12:19 PM

RE:ENGINE STOPPED,
Tom emailed me he fixed his problem,it was a weak coil.
Boo