360 engine vibrates, Torque converter has no weights

Started by bowsix101, February 18, 2012, 08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bowsix101

i have a 1978 dodge Winnebago with a 360.
the Vin says its should have a 440 but somewhere along the way it was switched for a 360. it has a horrible vibration in it and i have looked at the torque converter and it does not have any weights on it and it has the stock flex plate with no weights. which would be best get a weight kit and weld on, new weighted flex plate or new weighted torque converter. the transmission was behind the 440 so guessing i need one of the parts listed since its externally balanced and the front balance is fine.

thanks for any replies.

Wantawinnie

The 440 transmission does not bolt up to any small block engines. If it is still the original tranny are you sure it is a 360? To answer your question I would buy a weighted flexplate but that involves pulling the transmission.

bowsix101

yea on the drivers side block it says 360. gotta pull it out anyway to replace rear main seal.
thanks for the reply.

Slantsixness

It sounds like you have two possible problems:

1. The Torque converter is not a 26 balanced converter (there is a balanced flexplate that is is available, but it's not a 100% fix, but allows you to use a 318 torque converter on a 360.

2. Harmonic balancer may be from a 318. especially if there is no observable counterwieght on it. If it's only an inch thick, its a 318 harmonic balancer. the 360 is super hard to find for the M-350 Motorhome chassis, the Car ones don't work unless you use the entire cooling and pully system from a Car engine.

3. Lastly, the vibration may or may not be the engine at all. a Bad front U-joint will give you a similar vibration. (notice no vibration at 3500RPM in Neutral, then it's the ujoint or driveline somewhere, even driveshaft angle and center bearing will produce odd vibrations)

Remembering My 72 D20RG Brave "Smurfbago" The old girl never let me down, and she's still on the road today. quick! get out the Camera... I spotted another junkyard full of Winnies...