which truck is more reliable Ford, Dodge or GMC for RVing?

Started by joanfenn, August 20, 2015, 09:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joanfenn

Trying to get an idea for a new truck to pull our 27 ft trailer.  So who better to ask then my friends?  So friends give me some ideas on what is a good reliable truck preferably diesel 3/4 to 1 ton and crew cab.  All I am getting so far is biased opinions from people who are selling certain makes so theirs are the best.  Help............. i??

Rickf1985

And you will get the very same opinions here I bet. :D I have a Ford, a Dodge and a Chevy. All diesels. Can you tell I am a brand loyal guy. The problem is that the newest of my trucks is the Dodge at 98 so I don't think I am going to be able to help. i??

lemortede

I really have no bias against any of the manufacturer's.
After spending nearly 10 years in the parts industry in have seen problems with all 3 of the vendors that I would choose from.
I like Ford, Chevy and Dodge more or less equally.
They each have their pros and cons.
Honestly, if you are going diesel Cummings engines are the way to go.

joanfenn

Yes we want Cummings engine with the allison transmission, so that narrows it down to dodge or the GMC.  But were told that the Cummings motors were retooled again in 2012 for better economy so the reliability is not there right now.  Am I right with this line of thought?

lemortede

Cummings have been reliable for about as long as I can remember. There were a few off years but I have never thought of them as unreliable.

TerryH

Something you may want to consider, especially as you do live in a truck predominate area, is to ask owners of various makes how they feel theirs would be acceptable for your needs.
Coffee shop, café, gas station, etc. If you see one that is within the year and hauling ability you desire go inside and find the owner. Explain what you need in a truck and ask how they feel theirs would work for your needs as well as any problems they have encountered with theirs.
Most owners will be truthful with what they have found to be an upside and/or downside, particularly with a newer vehicle.
Very likely you will also find that others overhearing your questions will pipe in as well.
An owner with no ties to a particular manufacturer is more likely to be honest with you.
Again, given the area you live in, you are far more likely to receive specific to you information than you would from someone who sells a particular make.
Ties in to your request here, but possibly a more specific request stratum.
T
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

Rickf1985

joanfenn

Hi Rick.  It has let us down twice now.  Both times we had to get it towed when pulling the trailer.  Good thing we have AMA RV.  Dont know if we can trust it anymore.  Would like to know what the possible failures are of the other models  before we make a decision or keep this f350 diesel 2004 and plan on repairing things that go wrong.  It doesnt even have 150000.kms on it yet.

tiinytina

Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

joanfenn

Yes I like the toyotas also but am looking for a diesel for the power.

Rickf1985

Well, My advice would be to look at some of the aftermarket stuff available to make your current truck more dependable. I remember the EGR fiasco and I remember back then telling you to go aftermarket on the parts and you would never have that problem again. The 6.0 had some injector issues and EGR issues both of which have been well addressed by the aftermarket. It would be much cheaper for you to fix up the one you have with known good parts before dropping $60,000.00 on a new one.
All of the early 6.0 problems have been well documented and the aftermarket has proven solid parts for those problems that will give you better performance and better yet, dependability. I have to get back to wort but I will come back with a link or two to companies that carry good parts. You would spend a fraction of a new truck price.

GONMAD

I'm a GM guy but... I'd buy the Dodge 3500 with the Cummins. A good friend has one & he hauls heavy rock for large ponds & fountains every day. The thing pulls very well & is a tough unit. He just had to have the upgrade installed for around $4000.00 but it's running great! The exhaust smells funny now... don't know why but it works. I would try to find one that has already been modified & save yourself the need to have it done. The expensive part are the PARTS! The labor was only $175.00 Funny world we live in, HUH?!  GONMAD

joanfenn

Yes Rick, I like the old truck but don't know if I can trust it not to let us down again.  Am thinking hard and fast on this.  Just had the ipc or ipr or something replaced an it.  another 1000.  Now if I can be sure that another expensive part is not going to need replacing I would gladly keep it. i??

joanfenn

yes thinking of the cummins and allison combo here also.  Good reviews and durability it seems.  But only before 2012 before they started messing with the motor.

Rickf1985

joanfenn

Wantawinnie

The 2013 and up Cummins went with Urea for emissions like the other makes have. Its the same thing they have been using in the cab and chassis models since 2010 or 2011 so the technology is not really new. I waited for it before buying one. It runs much less EGR through the motor which is a good thing IMO. I have a 2014 Ram and I have no complaints. Mileage is way up and comparable to my old 2005 5.9 Dodge, plus the truck itself is way nicer that the 05. Starting in 2014 the 2500's got the coil rear suspension and the ride is much improved. My dad has a 2011 and while the truck and engine are fine the mileage is not very good. The 6.7 diesels that came out mid year 2007 had issues with the emissions equipment. I think the got it figured out for the most part within a year or two but I still see a lot of people deleting that stuff and going with aftermarket programmers.(hard to do now as the EPA cracked down on a lot of that stuff)

So, 2012 was the last year before the Cummins got the Urea change if that is what you want to go with. Also, there is no Cummins Allison combo in a Dodge pickup. The transmissions are the standard 68RFE and the heavy duty Aisen with the optional more powerful Cummins(you need to buy and 3500 to get the Aisen last time I checked). Rest assured, either would pull your trailer with no problem. The newer 68RFE and Aisen trannies don't have the issues that you are bound to hear about the older Dodge transmissions either.

If you want the Allison transmission then the Chevy/GMC Duramax diesel is what you will have to get.

If you go Ford do not get a 6.0 or even a 6.4 is the best advice I will give you.  I know some dealers that won't even take them in on trade. After talking with a lot of Ford mechanics, the newer 6.7 engine seems to be doing good according to them.

Hope this helps a little.

joanfenn

Yes I think that is what I meant.  The Allison with the duramax.  Been looking at to many trucks right now.  Thanks for the helpful information.

Lefty

Also, don't rule out the new 1/2 ton market... All three have extremely fuel efficient engine packages that can tow from 6,000lbs (Ford and Dodge w/ 6 cyl.)to 9,400lbs (Chevy/GMC w/4.3L and HD pack) Dodge's new V-6 Diesel and 8 spd auto gets over 25mpg. Ford's gas EcoBoost 6cyl easily gets 26mpg and I have a good friend with a 2015 model... We drove it to Texas and back and averaged 34mpg (almost all Interstate, not towing).
With a weight distribution hitch, which for a 27' trailer I would highly recommend anyways, any of the three would easily tow your trailer.
They also cost much less to buy, insure, and maintain (have you bought a oil change for a V-8 diesel lately??? My last one cost me $87).
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

eXodus

i dont know why diesel oil change is that much more in this country ? it has one or two quarts more then a gas engine ok, but its the same freaking black stuff which goes into it.

I think the shops just charging premium for diesel owners because everbody thinks it has to be more expensive. In europe diesel or gas oil change is excatly the same only the extra volume counts a little more
look at the numbers at the oil can, there is no "diesel" oil just marketing. Same oil just 3 bucks more per quart. lol.

I would go with a 1996-2003 dodge, or 1994-2004 ford 7.3 for reliability. both are million mile engines. The money you safe you can invest on aftermarket toys for comfort, air suspension, or power and fuel.  a new truck sets you back with 40-50k  an old in good condition 6-10k  so you gor 30k for upgrades left.

Rickf1985

Not true on the oil, the 15W-40 diesel motor oils are specially formulated with more detergents and emulsifiers to keep the particulates in suspension so they can be filtered out faster. Also, and this is important to antique car people, is the fact that there is more zinc in the oil that has been removed from automotive oils since it poisons catalytic convertors. The zinc is an anti wear agent for flt tappets and cams. Now that most cars have gone to roller cams it is not needed there but the antique crowd uses it.

Lefty

Quote from: eXodus on August 22, 2015, 07:58 AM
i dont know why diesel oil change is that much more in this country ? it has one or two quarts more then a gas engine ok, but its the same freaking black stuff which goes into it.

I think the shops just charging premium for diesel owners because everbody thinks it has to be more expensive. In europe diesel or gas oil change is excatly the same only the extra volume counts a little more

look at the numbers at the oil can, there is no "diesel" oil just marketing. Same oil just 3 bucks more per quart. lol.

I would go with a 1996-2003 dodge, or 1994-2004 ford 7.3 for reliability. both are million mile engines. The money you safe you can invest on aftermarket toys for comfort, air suspension, or power and fuel.  a new truck sets you back with 40-50k  an old in good condition 6-10k  so you gor 30k for upgrades left.

As for volume, a standard oil change on a car is typically 4-5 quarts. Oil change businesses typically state that the advertised prices are for "up to 5 quarts". My 7.3L diesel takes 11 quarts incl. filter, which is almost 3 times as much. Currently, Delo or Rotella diesel oil runs around $4 to $5 a quart (I actually buy it by the gallon though.). So an oil change automatically costs at least $50 just for the oil. A Napa Gold or Wix filter is another $25.
My engine requires oil that is certified as "CD" rated. This is the SAE rating for oils that meet diesel engine standards. Not all oils meet this, as it is a tougher standard than conventional oil must meet.
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

TripleJ

IMO you wont find a better truck than the F350. I don't know your specifics and what you have had serviced and updated, but the engine, trans and chassis in the ford is the best all around with the fewest weaknesses.  The 6.0 had some problems, but like Rick says, they have been well addressed.  Try and find somebody who KNOWS the 6.0 and doesn't just hate on it. Head studs and egr cooler, something else I cant rememeber.  Address those issues and it outperforms ANY other truck in its class.

Cummins is a fine engine, but don't forget its wrapped in a Dodge.  Theres a reason that dodge has been dead last by a LONG shot for more than 20 years. My 2013 Fiat/RAM was a great truck, but unless your buying new you wont be getting one of those.

'85 Holiday Rambler Presidential '28

ClydesdaleKevin

Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

ClydesdaleKevin

While I joke with my Ford and Dodge loving friends, being a Chevy guy...in the end, to me, as long as its Made in the USA, its a good truck.  Or you could just install a Cummins engine and Allison transmission in your RV and call it a day...lol!  That is what we are planning on doing when our 454 gets too tired to carry on.  120K miles on her, hard and heavy miles, and still going strong!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.