I just bought a '73 Winnebago

Started by UK-Winnie, February 23, 2014, 04:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UK-Winnie

So Hello,  I live in the UK and I just bought a 1973 Mini-Winnie (I know officially they're called "Minnie" like the mouse, but I call mine "Mini").

Although this is my first motorhome I have had lots of other American vehicles ranging from 1963 to 2000, mostly '70s stuff.  I currently have a '72 'cuda, a '72 Mustang convertible and a 2000 Grand Cherokee 4.7 - I'm not bragging I'm just saying it so you know where I'm coming from.

So I guess that's my intro. 

The Winnie is lovely, she drives well and although the interior has been re-covered it is about 99% all there in full 1973 "glory".  The chassis is so amazingly good I can hardly believe it.  The original 360 has been replaced with a 318 pick-up motor but I always had a soft spot for the 'teen and it seems man enough for the job.

Overall it sure beats the tits off any campers we had here in the UK in 1973 and I reckon it also tops a lot of the stuff we have now.

Looking foward to sharing, fixing, etc. - Steve
........nostalgia is not what it used to be

joev

Welcome  and looking forward to as many pictures you can post  :)

Stripe

Quote from: UK-Winnie on February 23, 2014, 04:11 PM
The Winnie is lovely, she drives well and although the interior has been re-covered it is about 99% all there in full 1973 "glory".
So in other words, a LOT of Orange!

BTW, I own a British Vehicle. 2000 Land Rover My kids like to call "Landy"

Oh yeah and Welcome to the group! Lot's o pictures!
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

DaveVA78Chieftain

Welcome to our little place on the web.  Look forward to hearing about and seeing your "Mini".

Dave
[move][/move]

LJ-TJ

Welcome aboard mate. Does it float?????? :)rotflmao Kidding sounds like you guys got it pretty rough over there right now. Looking forward to the pictures. :)ThmbUp

ClydesdaleKevin

Welcome to yet another member from across the pond!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

ben2

Welcome to our wonderful family of great friends,and those who really appreciate the older models, there is a wealth of info here free for the asking..

Stripe

Better send pics, or I'll make you drive Satans' own creation, the M25.....
Fredric,

UK-Winnie

Thanks for the welcome - I'm taking her for the MOT this afternoon (that's the UK annual safety inspection) I'll post some photos later and tell you how we got on.

The interior fittings are brown rather than orange, but I can't tell what colour the original fabrics were.

Stripe it's funny my mate up the road has an '84 Landrover County and his kids call that one Landy as well.  Is yours the V8?  My mate's one has the 3.5 litre V8 - we put a Carter 4-barrel on there and it goes much better!

joev I think I saw an Indian like yours at a Hot Rod meeting last year.

It has been very wet here for weeks but fortunately our house escaped the floods, some places not too far away have been flooded since before Christmas !  Weather seems to be drying up now so fingers crossed.

Later........

Stripe

Mine has the 4.0 litre V8.In fact Just last week I replaced the Crankshaft Position Sensor myself. Not too difficult of a job if I do say so myself.
Fredric,

UK-Winnie

I'm not familiar with the 4.0 L Rover, I only really know the 3.5 (the motor that Rover bought from Buick in the mid '60s).  Yours will be all fuel injection and t'ing.  If the electrics are by Lucas then watch out - we call Lucas "the prince of darkness", they're not evil, it's just that all the lights go out.

Anyway - we passed the MOT inspection  :)clap :)clap so we are now street legal.

The tester (Martin) was quite impressed with the state of the chassis and the efficiency of the brakes (just as well I went over the brakes at the weekend because when I drove her home they were less than good).

It was starting to get dark by the time we got back so not taken any photos yet - I'll take some in the morning (that's the morning at this end) and post them up.

Time now for me to start exploring other areas of this forum and straightening out my learning curve.

Life is good !

Stripe

Groovy, good to hear!

Cheers for the heads up on the electrics.. :D
Fredric,

UK-Winnie

UK-Winnie

With varying success

Now I've got the hang of it

UK-Winnie

joev

Looks good hope you have many happy travels   :)clap :)clap :)clap

Stripe

I have one word and one word only,  Your RV looks really, really nice.  That engine looks too good to be true.. :)
See? Short and Sweet...  W%
Fredric,

Lefty

Very nice Winnebago. I'm sure you will get a lot of good memories from it.
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

LJ-TJ

WOW! What a score. That rig's is one sweet ride. :)ThmbUp

tiinytina

Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

UK-Winnie

Thanks - I've got lots planned - like changing the horrible steering wheel !

Missy-Mae

Hey nice Winnie I also live in the UK and have a Winnie a 1970 A class  D:oH! 
With a 318 in it . Had mine a year now and their loads of fun 
Les

UK-Winnie

Hi Les, I see on the members' map you're over East of Maldon, I'm in Devon.  I picked up my Winnie from Norwich.

You have a Bedford CA as well?  I had an old CF years ago - the one with sliding doors.

I've got a heap of small block Mopar stuff !!

Steve

Oz

You'll have to give Ian Jupp a holler (Jupp318). 
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Missy-Mae

Wow nice drive home that trip was a few quid I also have a 1976 Dodge Titan with a Cummins 5.9 in it but that's a few years from being ready .I am mainly into Oldsmobiles and have a 1953 sedan and a 1955 Starfire convertible .am off to the hotrod swap-meet at Lakeside Thurock this Sunday so will come home with more old junk  :)clap
Have fun
Les