Greetings from Indiana

Started by Old Man Powell, March 06, 2014, 10:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Man Powell

First of all, let me just say I discovered this site just a few days ago and it is awesome. I cannot wait to become a full member as soon as possible.

Now, on to me. My name is Mike and I reside in Indiana with my wife, Heather, our daughter, Rose, and our dog, Harley. We recently became the very proud owners of a sharp 1974 Winnebago Chieftain (27 foot) named "Rooster." We are not new to "classic" RV's as we just sold our 1977 Holiday Rambler Imperial which we had named "Flo." Bless her heart, it was time to move on from Flo.

After having Flo for almost 7 years we really needed to get something different, for several resons. Well, just so happens my sister and her husband had decided to GIVE us Rooster. They bought this beauty about 4 years ago for around $3200. The person they bought Rooster from completely restored the inside and even patinted the outside. Overall, I'd say Rooster has had about a 90% overhaul. Best I can tell nothing was touched as far as the mechanics but at the time I don't think it was needed. Anywho, my sister and Brad (her husband) drove Rooster locally for a couple years and then parked him at a private campground, which is where he has been for the last two years, give or take a few months.

Brad started Rooster maybe once since parking it. I went out last month and got the engine and generator running. Considering how long the unit had been sitting, I was very pleased with how easy it was to get both running. Really just took a little starting fluid and about 10 minutes.

Other than maybe some new tires and of course some general maintanence (oil change), I could probably drive Rooster across the state right now, but I'm not gonna try it, yet.

I'm no master mechanic but I have worked on my share of cars... done a couple engine overhauls... tons of brake jobs... water pumps... you get the idea. And again, we had our Holiday Rambler so I've been through an old RV. In fact, I don't think I have ever known the "in's and out's" of a vehicle as much as I did with that RV. However, I'm gonna need some help with Rooster. Thus the reason I am so excited about this site.

With my Holiday Rambler getting parts was no problem. It was a Ford E350 chassis with the 460 engine. Anything I needed I could get at AutoZone. I quickly learned that is not the case with Rooster. While waiting to get "approved" for this site I went through it as much as I could and learned a lot.... but I still have a ton more to learn.

Right now the brakes need bled, oil needs changed, the carb needs rebuilt and the tranny could probably use a flush (fluid is good color but who knows how old it is). My dad and I actually tuned up the engine and generator when Chris/Brad first bought Rooster but I cannot remember how we knew which filter and plugs to get. I do know we had a hard time getting the right plugs. Finally ended up getting the tapered "peanut" plugs.

When looking for engine parts (it is the 440-3) where should I go? Napa? Should I look under Dodge truck RM400 or D300? What if I need to get brake parts? Need to get tranny gasket and filter and carb rebuild kit. I'm having a really hard time finding this stuff. Any guidance you can offer would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

Trust me, I will go through all the threads when I have time but just looking for some quick pointers right now. I found the instructions for adjusting the power steering box. That is freaking awesome. Cannot wait to try that. Rooster is a wonderer on the road!

Rooster is still out at the campground and I have to have him out by April 1st. It's about a 50 minute drive out to the middle of no where so it's been chore... especially with the winter we have had in Indy this year. Right now my main issue is getting the brakes working so I can get out of the campground.

And if anyone has questions about a 1977 Holiday Rambler with the ford 460, I would be more than happy to pass on my knowledge and experience.

Thanks!!!
Mike

Stripe

Hey, Welcome to the "Family".  Looking forward to pics of "Rooster".
We have an Oilman in Powell now we have an Old Mad Powell.  ???  Hm?

Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

Oz

QuoteTrust me, I will go through all the threads when I have time but just looking for some quick pointers right now.

When needing help with specific questions, please post the questions on the appropriate message boards.   

Where to get parts and what chassis to tell them has already been covered in previous questions. 
Use the Message Search:

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,2607.msg4957.html#msg4957

What to tell them at parts places:
http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,7831.msg37084.html#msg37084
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Lefty

There's plenty of articles here about the topics you mentioned, regarding bleeding the brakes, overhauling the carb. etc... Just use the Search box to locate them.

Oh, and Welcome to the Club!!
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...