New here. Have an 84 Chieftain 22' P30. In deep! Lol...

Started by ngarover, April 24, 2013, 12:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ngarover

Ok, So I bought this old motor home. When I bought it I had them fire up the genet, which ran just fine, And I turned on the fridge which (looked) like it worked (all lights etc working). Had a new engine put in in 2005, new roof air with optional heat strip last summer, and the genset was rebuilt last summer by cummings.

So I get it home, (after stopping and having 2 front tires replaced cause they where totally shot) Found the unit to be very squirrely on the road. So I ordered a full set of new shocks and a steering stabilizer. Put on the stabilizer and it's 100% better now, have not gotten the shocks on cause I can't find anyone in Chattanooga that can do it.

The engine would not start unless you poured a little fuel down the bowl, So I installed an electric fuel pump. Now it will start on first rotation. (also replaced all the plugs wires and distrib cap.)

Found the power panel was shot. Put a new one in. one of the 15 amp breakers is missing and PO has tied the wires from it to one of the remaining ones. found BOTH green wires disconnected and taped together ?? behind original unit.

While doing that, discovered a new water pump for the plumbing. Then found the water heater and rear heater bypassed... Still looking at that...

Found that the fridge does not in fact work. never gets cold.

Replaced the stove with a nicer once out of a local unit being parted out. Works great.

The suburban 34 furnace, That's a story in itself. Ended up replacing with the one for the parted out unit, which worked for a month or so. Have taken it out and cleaned it, fully disassembling it and getting all the crap out of it. It goes threw all the correct motions for startup, blower blows, then it sparks but will not light. almost like it's getting no gas. Have it at the repair shop for a bench test today.

Gallery window had been leaking for some time, rotting out the wall and the counter top. Rebuild the counter, (plywood and cement board and will tile) also replaced the bad wood in the wall, popped out the window and butyl taped it to seal it. went ahead and retiled the floor under the counter with vinyl wood looking squares. Looks much better and easy to clean.

Yesterday I drove it home 40 miles from where I park it to use it for work, stopped at a local store and the starter would not engage. Dropped it and installed a new starter an hour later problem solved.

Today, scraping a horrible caulk job around the windshield and butyl taping it. Then if time and weather holds, going to try and get at least one side of the roof redone in Eternabond tape.

unit had 2 car batteries in step. yesterday, I went to move it, and found them both at 0 voltage. Replaced them with new. (which prompted another question, the PO had the 2 poss of the batteries tied together. I'm going to have to take a picture of the other mess of wire and see if anyone can help me with that.

Bad news, The PO had a toggle switch in the dash to run a fan. On the way to get insurance the day after I bought it, I hit the switch and POOF smoke and sparks and fire! quickly pulled over and was able to stop damage. Turns out he had wired about 8 different devices onto an unfused wire... And all the fuses in the box are 30amps! Removed all the offending wire (took a full day.) found that on top of all this  the bad of the climate control was melted (sometime in the past) Also found that the gauge cluster had delaminated and nobody makes a replacement for it... sigh. I rewired the cluster using actual wire and replaced all the lights with LED's Those work great.

The Voltage does not work, the Gas gauge is full all the time.

The A.I.R systems pump was frozen. Removed it, and am working on removing everything else related to it.

The carb? that's a hot mess. Vacuum lines off everywhere, no idea where anything is suppose to go. it's running , and seems to run well, but only getting 100-130 miles to a TANK! Think I'm going to follow this guys footsteps...[size=78%]http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,6810.0.html?PHPSESSID=1f9f298727c4e7d3ea9b4625bd394b52[/size]

Since the electric mishap, the genset will not start. Not turn over, nothing. Nothing from the dash switch or from trying from the generator itself. Not even sure where to start there.

Oz

Sure looks like you're diggin' in deep right from jump street.  Quite sure you'll have it tackled in no time.  All the help you need (including a cheering section) is right here for you!
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

ngarover

yup, But at least I've gotten my money out of it. I average 14 days/nights a month in it, and have been using it since dec 4th, so basically it's more than paid for itself at this point. Anything I do to it is just cake.  W%

ClydesdaleKevin

Welcome to the group!  I'm "this guy" in who's footsteps you want to follow...lol!  I have no complaints at all about the way the Edlebrock install came out, and the AIR pumps even look like they are still hooked up somewhat in case your state has a visual inspection of any kind.  Last leg of our journey we got 8.36 MPG with no problem on the steep hills from Albuquerque, NM to where we are right now, stopped for the night, in Sayre, OK.

Wow what a bloody mess the PO made of your wiring...geesh!  Glad all the PO of our rig did was duct tape everything that broke...including holes in the screens!  Still removing duct tape residue...

Anyhow, welcome again to the group.  Feel free to ask any specific questions about the Edlebrock install and vacuum simplification project.  Most of its pretty clear from the post I made.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

ngarover

Thanks! Your post was very informative, I have actually been searching for a month or so for a "correct" solution. Nobody around here understands the factory carb, and even though the RV is running fine, I'm only getting about 100 miles to a tank. Literally. So the carb replacement is next on the list cause it will pay for itself in no time at this rate.