Changing from 2brl to 4brl on 360

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 11, 2008, 10:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 4/7/2008 11:41 AM

went through the msg board to find, couldn't, a reason for me to change from my 2brl to 4brl. Tired of , when loaded, drives like a dog/turtle up hills and thought changing to 4brl would be the answer but mine is a 1975, "C", 20' and not sure"how to thing" or if I would get enough-zip-out of it for the cost-? How much? and can I do it myself? Gas prices-get 13-14 now--may be a factor but most of my trips are 200mi or less oh and Its a 360 dual mufflers/ex. system with 82,000mi.- heads redune 5,000mi a--Bill

Sent: 4/8/2008 5:20 AM

Go for it! But Change the intake too. Don't use an adaptor plate.

Edelbrock Performer manifold, and the matching  "Edelbrock" (it's a carter AFB) Carb. Be sure to buy the carb linkage kit for Mopas with the carb too... that way you'll retain poroper Linkage alignment (its just a bracket).

Not the cheapest or easiest way to go, but it will fix the "bogging" effect from the unusually large and somewhat troublesome 2 bbl on the 360. Where I like the old 2bbl carbs on the 318, the big one on the 360 does seem to have unwanted quirks no matter what you do to fix them. The AFB is the way to go. set it once and forget it... really.

And yes... if you're fairly handy, and can change a valve cover gasket and use (own) a torque wrench, you can have it done in about  a day (including eating, cleaning and even a trip or two to an auto parts store for a part(s) you might have forgotten). It's really not that complicated, and niether are the carb adjustments.

Tom 

Sent: 4/8/2008 9:10 AM

Thanks Tom-I'll run down to AutoZone and Schucks and see what I'm looking at -Cost-and see,maybe, if I can git'er'dun' before the Jam--Bill

Sent: 4/8/2008 1:08 PM

Besides using a torque wrench on about any bolt on/in an engine - I like to check and retorque things a year later if I have had an engine apart. I have found intake manifold bolts and carb holdown nuts to loosen up sometimes. With rubber hoses I check/resnug the hose clamps after I have run it for a few days, then a couple of weeks afterward again.

Sent: 4/8/2008 2:55 PM

well Dave the torque thing makes me think I need to check everything - as long as I am in there--although I don't own, willing to buy, a torque wrench---seems funny at my age I never owned one but going to the shop to have things done was always,expensive, easier for me when I was working----now I have lots of time to play with this thing; although I still take it to the shop on most things---built more shelfs today-in a closed of the MH- and forgot to go to parts store - still time----have to see what that unit - complete will run me then see if momma is going, again, yell-never/ever- at me . We don't have a junk yard with old - hell even new--MHs' here so it's hard to get parts---want to put awning on and rack/latter just for the look but still haven't taken the time to order them.lots to do and summer is a comin' so another list of stuff to do. Can't wait!!!!!!---Fishing is getting hot again-also-can't push that aside---have 5 trips planned this year-so far-and wife is going on one (1)-----WHAT A GUY!!!!!!-she thinks it's ok----I mean really OK? Hate it when she says -GO FOR IT----although I usually fish/camp with her brother out of Seattle--good friends. Went on long enough---------------------thanks for the info-----------Bill