74 Winnebago blown engine - advice?

Started by kage, December 10, 2013, 07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kage

Ok.  I'll start looking. LJ_TJ, it's a 440. It would be a lot nicer to find something out of the donor vehicle, like already rebuilt. But I don't think that will be in the budget. And hearing/seeing it run sounds sensible. Although if it's in a running vehicle the price overall is probably about the same as a rebuilt?  I guess I'll just start poking around and see what is there.

LJ-TJ

You might be surprised. There are folks out there that have old motor homes that are junk and not worth fixing up but they run good. A junk yard as a rule wont give them anything for them because there to much work to get rid of all the junk in side for the return on the little bit of alunimum and steel. So there will to sell the engine cheap just to get a few bucks out of it. Look around check out Craigs list or your local buy sell trade paper. Be patient it's out there at a price you can afford.

eddie

I will come down and help if needed! Eddie (sorry i forgot his new name) needs to live on! Don't give up on him!! His spirit is strong! Aghhh!
www.apexautospa.com

Check it-Boom

legomybago

Your exactly right on having the option of pulling your 440 and taking it to a machine shop for a complete rebuild. Machine shops can vary in price depending on how much work needs to be done to a motor, and how much assembly you want to do yourself after the rebuild, (like install your own heads, water pump, oil pan etc) you can save a few hundred bucks. I think the going rate for a short block complete rebuild should be around 1,100 to 1,300$ Valve grind and seals 300?? I'm not sure what part of the country your in, but I don't think you would completely brake your bank....I haven't been to a machine shop in a few years, maybe the prices have gone up though????  i??

Read the crap out of your manuals, and get an understanding for how to install engine parts correctly, as well as disassembly..like everyone's been saying,"keep everything organized"..
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

kage

This place  -- Southwest Engines is offering a rebuilt engine (less water pump, alternator, etc.) for around $1,200.00 (with shipping). With a 3 year warranty. Seems almost too good if it is the right engine.  I might find something wrecked for less, but this seems safer.
http://www.swengines.com/
1974 Dodge 300
Part:   Engine - 8-440 (VIN "D")
Price:   $1,070.00 (Grade A Used Engine) 180 day parts only warranty image
$1,165.00(Grade A Used Engine) 3 year parts and labor warranty image
Shipping:   Free Shipping in all U.S. states except HI & AK

LJ-TJ

Hey Mate if you don't mind us asking about's where are you located and about what's your budget? Hm?

kage

Budget? We don't need no stinking budgets.* I'm not sure I've really figured that out yet. It was going to be $7500+ to have someone else do it, so anything less seems good. $2,000 would seem still like a lot but do-able. I don't know if that's extravagant or impossible, along with not knowing much about auto mechanics, I don't know much about how much this DIY should cost.
I am just outside Santa Cruz, California, about 60 miles south of San Francisco. Lots of ocean, redwoods, otters, fish, hippies, etc. I live on a woodsy semi mountain.  Room for anyone that wants to come by and wrench it up...

* Treasure of the Sierra Madre?

LJ-TJ

OK! Well I'm a thrifty/frugal sort of guy. Money's hard to come by so I pretty much have to do everything on my own. If I don't know it I find a way to figure it out/learn it and fix it. So were sort of on the same page. D:oH! I was kind of thinking Free to may be $500.00 for an engine. So I guess were in the ball park. Lets see what the guys can come up with.

LJ-TJ

kage

I like cheap and there are a lot things where I can exercise my talents in that direction.  But in this case, I might be able to wrestle these engines in and out (with a lot of help from you guys) but unless I'm really lucky: removing an engine from somebody elses vehicle, determining weather it's good or not, and then trouble shooting the quirks, those are things that only past experience can resolve. For the extra $500 I'd be getting something a bit more ready to go. And not knowing the ins and outs I could easily end up spending that $500 to get a questionable engine up to speed. So to speak.
I'm not there yet, getting the bago back to the house Monday.  Maybe I'll find something close by that fits the bill?
Anyway, thanks TJ, You are really a great source.  Now I have to get back to work so I have the $$ for the fancy engines.

LJ-TJ

:)rotflmao Good stuff. Now we know were your coming from. Good thinking. :)ThmbUp

EarlJr

If it's in the budget I'd definitely go with a rebuilt engine from a reputable shop or a warrantied engine from a reputable auto recycle facility. Very few things suck worse than having to replace an engine you just replaced.

I'd hope a rebuilt would be less likely to need fixing again. And with a warranty at least someone else is paying for parts.

legomybago

Quote from: EarlJr on December 18, 2013, 03:29 PM
If it's in the budget I'd definitely go with a rebuilt engine from a reputable shop or a warrantied engine from a reputable auto recycle facility. Very few things suck worse than having to replace an engine you just replaced.

AMEN BROTHER

Froggy1936

Warrantys : Rebuilt, They will replace the engine when you return it to place of purchase and after they have picked it up and inspected it to determine cause of failure ( if you violated any of the terms in the written warranty ) You can have the broken one back or purchase another one ! They can tell if overheated,wrong coolant, ran with low lubricant/wrong grade / or defective lube / Overreved, overloaded etc.. Applys to there used ones too. A used one from a wrecking yard ?? They will say it ran when it came in . Use great caution: Find a person who you can trust to guide you that has experience in such matters.  Though i have no personal experience with Jasper rebuilts I also have never heard anything except praise for there product. I beleive Advance Auto uses them  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

M & J

M & J

cosmic

im with tj on the 500 dollar running motor. same engine goes out same as it goes in. shoot I have to put a little oil in my old 440 now and again but if that 440 ran for 40 years just fine, it will run  longer. God forbid you here a  valve ticking or burn some oil. Are planning on going around the world in it?
and some of those rebuilds wont last as long as the original would. if you watched the oil level. couple tolerances out here and there, cut rate parts. needs a rebuild every 40k.
$500 440 2 days in and out back at work Monday.
I know a lot of ya wont agree with me. its just me 2 cents.
good luck on your mission.

Froggy1936

I also agree with Cosmic ($500.00 being the decideing factor). A used engine that you can hear run ,before pulling it out is a good way to go . Though I would pull the valve covers and replace gaskets / clean off any crud from rocker area. Then drain and pull the pan clean, ck a couple rod bearings & Main bearings , Then if they are still good  replace timing chain and frt and rear seals & oil pump. Would probably go another 100 K mi  . If the bearings are worn thru the babbit to the brass you can replace them, but now you will need some professional help to decide on next step . Wether to rebuild,patch or find another engine. Or you can just install the used one, change the oil& filter and cross your fingers ! Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

joev

I am thinking if he can get the rebuilt for $1200 with 3year waranty  go for it  all you need is water pump $48 dollars and install your own alternator  your good to go  spending money on changing timing chain gaskets and so on he spent the differance  from $500 To the $1200  still cost him the same  so my vote is go for the rebuilt and put it in and he doesnt have all the extra work to do  and wondering if he did it right  he is a first timer keep it simply . Simply is good

LJ-TJ

Yeah that would be the best move. Remember we didn't/don't know what finances are/or would be available. Since most of us here don't have a lot of funds available to us we always think frugal and thrifty first and dream of the day when we can just go to the candy store and buy,buy,buy. I mean isn't that why most of us do our own wrenching. I love working on our rig thanks to all the guys here. They've been fantastic teaching me Winnebago mechanics 101. Shoot if you can get a new rebuilt for that kind of money and can afford it I'd go for it. One thing to check on though is are all the parts new. Or are they old parts that are within spec. cleaned up and then reinstalled. I here Jasper is a good engine. Hm?   

Ken

Couple  of minor things to keep in mind if you are looking at a used engine swap from a car or truck. You will likely have to use your existing exhaust manifolds to mate up correctly with your existing exhaust system. Also most car or truck 440 engines have a rear sump oil pan. you will need to reuse your existing oil pan which should be a front sump type to clear the Dodge I beam front axle. They should be interchangeable. I replaced a 1979 440-3 with a 1977 440-1 from a truck and had to do this.  Good luck.

kage

Ok.  Bago is back at home and I am planning out the operation.  Heh.
1.  Anyway, as best as I can find out the 440 weighs in at 670 lbs? I am looking at used engine hoists that lift 1/2 ton at full extension... seems like sensible to me?  (plan to resell after I use)
2. Acquiring engine. I think I am going with the rebuilt engine at this point, but it seems like there are several configurations of the same engine?  Oil pan, exaust manifold, etc.  How do I specify (as closely as possible) exactly what I am looking for?

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Lefty

8: Smell the dipstick when you pull it... If it smells burnt or like gas, walk away. Gas indicates a leaking fuel pump diaphragm that can contaminate the oil, causing the bearings and rings to scuff. Burnt indicates it has been run hot.
If it looks like a chocolate milkshake.. that's water in the oil. A tiny bit is normal due to condensation.. too much indicates a blown or cracked head.
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

legomybago

Congrats on getting it home!!

Just have 'your' engine rebuilt....(if it's not broken in two of coarse). Then you wouldn't need to worry about oil pans and manifolds and pulleys etc, you can just concentrate on where everything goes back on the engine, and that it's the correct part that came off that engine....Thats what I would do anyway  W%

eddie

I'm still willing to help if you want. That boy needs to keep on. When are you planning on getting him going? I have pulled and put a motor in his brother RIP, so I can assist if you want ;-)

www.apexautospa.com

Check it-Boom