Electric Fuel Pump not drawing in fuel

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 17, 2008, 10:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 9/14/2005 11:25 PM

I have an Electric fuel pump...just changed the filters from my tanks, checked out the pump by placing a can of gas dropped the inlet line into can, and pump works good....also sucked gas from each tank into the new filters by mouth, I has a very good flow.... yes it was gas.....still tastes the same as I remember...but I can't get the pump to suck it up from the tank, lines are all tight......pump should self-prime, but it is not doing so......the pump is close to the tanks.....I think it may be air locked....any suggestions? I was going to pour some gas down the line in front of the pump to see if that'll work....a little bit of air does some stange things with pumps....
Timmy

Sent: 9/15/2005 8:12 PM

Pump is still air locked and no gas flow through the pump yet...I know that's the problem (air-loacked) but still can't get the air out...any suggestions????

Timmy

Sent: 9/16/2005 9:06 PM

Problem is resolved......I had to take the outlet line from the selector valve and drop it into a 2 gal can of gas, it took the pump about 15 seconds to prime and it did filling the fuel filter with fuel...... then I carefully without spilling any that was in the line re-hooked the outlet line to the selector valve.....It took about 1 minute on eack tank to get all the air bubbles (purged lots of air) out of the lines, the lines were definately air-locked  Your right about the suction being low, plus compounding that problem, my starter battery was marginal and not delivering the right amount of juice, causing excessivly week pumping action from the pump....pump did not have enough suction to purge all that air without some help.....Now on the vapor lock......mine seems to be just the opposit of yours....I get major problems with vapor lock from the manual vaccumn pump,  never had any with the electric pump.  Now all the fuel problems (except for the price of it).....seemed solved (knock on wood) .....You wouldn't happen to have a fix for the price now, would you......

Again,  Thanks Tom for all your help and be careful in California.....there's some real weirdo's out there...
Just kidding Booboo......and all   CALIFOLK......

Timmy