Mystery part on chassis: looks like a big filter w/hoses

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 16, 2008, 09:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 11/9/2005 10:19 PM

I am a the proud owner of a 1973 winnie brave, it drove fine for the first week, had some minor problems like the alternator going out, blown starter, all easy stuff. finally I had to get around to getting a new fuel pump for it, an when I was underneath by the fuel pump, there is this black cylinder looking thing on the chasis, only attached by a rod. it has 4 hoses going to it, and I havent the slightest clue what it is. so before I go tearing things off I thought I should run it by you guys on here. knowing my luck its something really simple....

Sent: 11/10/2005 10:44 AM

Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that is a vacuum canister.

Sent: 11/10/2005 2:22 PM

MH chassis' manufactured after 1/1/73 for california must be equiped with an evaporation control system.  Winne just ordered all chassis cali style to avoid hassels.  It is the charcoal filled purge canister for that system.  It holds the fumes from the carb and fuel tank when engine is off.  fumes are removed from it when you start the engine.  They changed the system a bit in 75 when they added an EGR valve.

Dave

Sent: 11/10/2005 2:57 PM

yeah that sounds a bit right, the inside looks like some sort of filter, and judging by the different lines going into it...thanks for the info, now its time for me to put it back where it came from lol