Air bags/Air springs Air pressure?

Started by moonlitcoyote, June 25, 2012, 02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moonlitcoyote

So after reading alot about people putting airbags in, I thought I would check out Homebago to see if I have air bags installed. What I found was air bags in the front that have the air fill at the bottom and on the back (dont know if they are the same thing but from what I found on the internet they are called air springs), but I cant find any way of putting air into them. Now I need to now how much air to put into the front ones and also how to tell if the rear ones are adjustable.

MJ

ok, hubby finally found where the fill connectors are on the back ones, they are inside the little door to the sewer hose. Now just need to know how much air to put in them

DaveVA78Chieftain

Gotta love PDFs  :laugh:

For the front:
In the Members Free Manuals & Diagrams section, go to the "Chevy/GM P-30 Service and Maintenace" section and download the "Chevy/GM P-30 Service and Maintenace" Manual (19MB).  Turn to pdf page 46 (paper 3-9) for front air bag information.  You will need to know the front GVW for you chassis to obtain the correct front air bag setting.  Having you do this so you have this in your back pocket for many other issues related to your GM P30 chassis.

For the rear, you have to read what air bag system (Air Lift or Firestone) was installed off the writing molded into the air bag.  From there we can obtain the P/N of the system installed and then access the installation/operators manual for the system installed which will tell you all you should need to know about how to use them (no set figure I am afraid).

Dave
[move][/move]

moonlitcoyote

While waiting for a reply I did download the service and maintenance manual and was reading through it. I did see the section you are referring to but alas I do not know my suspension weight. I do know the GVWR is 13,500... The rear are firestone.

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

moonlitcoyote

Thanks Dave, If I understand correctly what I read on that. I am supposed to add enough air to the back ones to level the rig front to back. With a minimum of 20psi. So if my rig already looks level then I just make sure there is 20psi and leave it?

DaveVA78Chieftain

Matter of leveling (Front to Back and Side to side).  I would expect it is at least somewhere in the 50lb range (a MH is not a 1 1/2 ton empty bed pickup).   Also can affect handling, more air, harder ride, less softer.  You will just have to play with it and find a balance.   May even change based on how much weight (toys) you put in it.

You need to find the metal VIN plate.  Should have GVWR (combined weight) and front/back GAWR values on it.  Plate should be on front of dash (ie under front outside hood) and another one inside on toe panel to left of steering wheel.

The other useful sticker is the GM Service parts sticker.  Not a clue where Winnebago hide it.  It has parts code information on it for identifying brake parts, etc.

Dave
[move][/move]

Oz

When I installed mine, the pressure needed was pretty low.  The front was just a little over the minimum.  Your rig is heavier so you should have a little more pressure front and rear.  As I recall, the front on mine was like 25psi and the rear was like 55psi.  You have to dial them in according to how the RV rides.  I put too much in to start and it was harsh as heck.  Regulating them for road conditions can be a PITA unless you have the pump and regulator that goes with it.  I didn't get that because of price.  However, with a pump, some lines and some simple valves, you can make your own for a whole lot less.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

ClydesdaleKevin

The manual for our old 77 P30 listed 50 psi as a max for front air bag pressure.  The new Firestones I put in in our 89 list 75 as max, but that is more than what the P30 needs on any given day.  Recommended ideal pressure is 30-50.  We run them at 50 because of all the extra weight we carry around.

No idea about the backs, since we never had them.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.