Source for Emergency Brake assembly for 1970 D22

Started by Jrcuss, September 04, 2012, 07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jrcuss

Hi all,  my wife and I have recently purchased a 1970 D22 Winnebago with Dodge 318 motor.  It's in wonderful shape and we're currently preparing it for our trip across the country...starting in Maine!  It's currently undergoing a thorough service at the shop, however, the mechanic has discovered the entire e-brake and assembly has been removed from the chassis. I have the pull handle and cable etc, everything else has been gutted. It's a D22 Chasis with drum (dual wheel at rear).

1. Can anyone direct me as to where I might be able to find a new or reconditioned replacement e-brake and assembly for our 1970 D22?

2. Should this be a major safety concern for our family should our brake(s) or transmission fail while climbing or descending steep inclines?  Parking is less of a concern for us as we have successfully been using blocks behind the wheels when parking on an incline.

3. How effective would the e-brake be in an emergency situation, one guy at Winnebago seemed to think the e-brake would not make much difference if I got into trouble. I'm not totally convinced.

Can anyone out there help with my questions and concerns?

Thanks everyone,
James

brians1969

You have the emergency brake on the the transmission. If  the motorhome is stopped on level ground it will probably hold it from rolling. :-)

What exactly are you missing? You have the inside part and the cable.  I'm sure the drum and the backing plate are still there. Perhaps you can climb underneath and look? You probably will have to order the individual pieces.  There are also junkyards that specialize in motorhomes that might have some of the parts.

brian

ClydesdaleKevin

The little drum at the end of the transmission parking brake system on older RVs is only designed to do one thing...keep you from rolling on a hill when the transmission is in park.  Its a parking brake only, not an emergency brake.

So its not a safety issue while driving not to have one...and if you aren't on a big hill, the transmission in park will hold you just fine. 

If its not an issue for your registration and inspection I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Also, your mechanic might not be familiar with old motorhomes.  He might have been looking for a cable that leads to the drums and totally missed the little drum between your transmission and driveshaft.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Jrcuss

Thank you Brian and Kevin, ...I appreciate your comments. It appeared Our mechanic was looking in the right place, however he appreciated me sharing your comments with him.  A few days ago I found what looked to be a new e-brake assembly under one of the bench seats inside in a pile of misc spare parts, it was manufactured in Canada. Fingers crossed this is the right one.  It's back in the shop to have the master brake cylinder gasket plus the power steering gasket replaced before we head out. Thanks to your comments, E-brake or no E-brake we'll be heade d out soon. Will keep you posted on our progress. thanks again for your ideas.
James