Auxiliary Fans driving me nuts!

Started by fgutie35, June 30, 2011, 11:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fgutie35

Well, we took a 100 mile trip the other weekend on the Elandan, and noticed that the auxiliary fans would come up every 35 secs or so. At the beginig, it didn't bothered me, but after 50 miles, I began to get frustated. Outside temp was about 100F and noticed that when neddle on gauge would come close to the middle mark, the auxiliary fans will kick in and would not shut till the neddle was between first and middle mark. I may have caused this myself, because I do remember puting a 180F thermostat back when it was overheating. so what I want to know, is if the thermostat is the culprid and needs to be replaced by the standard 195F or if the radiator is so old that it cannot keep up anymore? :(

fgutie35

I figured out the problem. My thermostat froze open (failsafe), so the auxiliary fans where trying constantly to bring the temp down. In case happens to some one else, the symptoms are, the auxiliary fans come on every 40 or 50 seconds.

Oz

Glad you got it figured out and that it was an easily found and corrected problem.  I apologize for not noticing the topic sliding by for so long.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

tiinytina

So just had same issue on ours.. thermostat froze open, radiator fan clutch then went, then water pump (as we drove it 100+ miles with the fan clutch "on" )....  always something...
Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!