Carburetor replacement for A 454

Started by Stoned Crow, July 07, 2010, 11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stoned Crow

Hey all,

I have a big block 454 in my 1974 Champion.  The 454 was rebuilt about 2 yrs ago.  My brother-in-law took a look at my carburetor two weeks ago and he said at a minimum, it needs to be rebuilt (they must have ignored the carb when they redid  the engine.)

My question is, the current carb is  Rochester Quadra-Jet,  are there better carbs out there that work with the 454 better than the Quadra-Jet?  I don't know jack about carbs, so I'm stuck  with  rebuilding  the  Quadra-Jet  or is my money better spent buying a brand new carb?

Thanks for the help,

SC

4winds

Personally I love the Edelbrock performer series.  Never had any trouble with one.  Ed

Oz

Personally, I agree with Ed.  But, you'll find just as many folks happy with Holly carburetors as well.

With an Edelbrock, for performance, the 750cfm is the way to go.  For economy, 600cfm.  It all depends on which your preference is.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

tiinytina

I'll be a third on that train! We put an Edelbrock Quadrajet.in spring of 06 and have had no issues since. 
Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

ClydesdaleKevin

Just stay away from Holley rebuilds.  They do a horrible job and don't stand behind thier product.  Edlebrock rebuilds are good and a drop-in replacement.  Edlebrock also makes a replacement carb, 750cfm, that is tuned for power AND economy, designed specifically for big blocks like the 454.  If you go that route you'll need an adapter plate and whatnot as well so it fits on the manifold.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Stoned Crow

Thanks for the replies and pointing me in the right direction, everyone.  After I do some research, I'll let you know how it all worked out.

SC

fgutie35

I will save all that money, and just buy a carburator kit for your Rochester. If you have either model# E4MED or EM4MEF (HD emission) which more than likely it is, those carbs go as much as 800cfm's, depending on the engine needs. The kit comes with instructions and adjusment procedures. Is the difference between $47.00 and $540.00.

ClydesdaleKevin

Only if you are good and comfortable with rebuilding carbs, and remember that while the Quadrajet is an awesome carburator, it is also the most complicated and difficult to rebuild...and you have to get it EXACT when you rebuild it or you run into horrible issues like secondaries not opening, flooding, and metering rods opening or not opening when they aren't supposed to. 

A great option that will cost you about half as much as new but still assure you of a quality rebuild is to remove the carburator and take it to a quality speed shop or garage that still knows how to work on muscle cars and carbs.  Just get assurances from the garage or shop that they will revisit their work once you reinstall it for fine tuning and making sure its right.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.