Heater hose routing for 413 engine

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 17, 2008, 05:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClydesdaleKevin

Sent: 4/26/2005 7:16 PM

While changing the thermostat today and greasing the water pump, I noticed that the PO looped a heater hose (hot water hose) from one fitting to the other, instead of running new hoses to the heater core.  I pressure tested the heater core, and it tested fine.

Anyone know which is the inlet hose and which is the outlet hose, or does it even matter, since the heater core is just a mini radiator sitting in a box?

Thanks!

Kev and Patti Smith
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

vegas39

Sent: 4/26/2005 10:00 PM

If there is no shutoff valve inline, somone may have unhooked it to avoid hot air pouring in. Mine is like a blast furnace. If you hook it back up, make sure you put a shutoff valve inline with a cable attachment so you can hook it up to your dash control for the heater. Put the valve on the hose coming from the water pump, as far as the heater core, it doesnt matter which hose goes where.

ClydesdaleKevin

Sent: 4/29/2005 9:32 PM

All done!  It was 5/8" hose.  My heater box is actually in the front access compartment under the windshield, so the hoses were pretty darn long.  I also took vegas39's advice and put a valve inline to shut off the hot water to the core if I choose too.  Now, I didn't use a cable system, but rather used a 1/2" ball valve with a blue (to match the new dash carpeting) turn handle, and two threaded 1/2" to 5/8" hose fittings.  I mounted it on the passenger's side kick panel, under the dash on the right side of my dog house.  The hoses and body of the valve are in the doghouse compartment, secured with 2 1/2" pipe clamps, with only the blue knob showing under the dash.  Its not as "trick" as a lever with a cable, but it will work and looks pretty neat!  I'll post a picture of the way I did it when I get a chance.

Kev and Patti Smith
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.