Rear brake adjustment

Started by MSN Member, February 14, 2009, 10:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazytrain

Sent: 5/5/2004

Hi again you Aerodynamic Freaks,

I just got my 74 D23L out of the barn today and it looks like
my rear brakes needs adjustment. They are not performing at their best. Even the hand brake is not aggressive as last year.

Is there a way to check and adjust rear shoes??

Thanks

Crazytrain

Jupp318

Sent: 5/6/2004

Hi Crazytrain,

A word of warning, check your fluid level.  Yours sounds like a familiar tale, one of the things that can cause your brakes not to be as aggressive is brake fluid! and leaking cylinders.

Apart from that, if your brakes do need adjusting the emergency brake being pulled up should improve the "feel" of the brakes (unless you have the transmission type emergency brake.

To adjust your brakes (if they are like mine that is) remove the horizontal rubber grommet from the brake back plate.  You should then be able to see the ratchet wheel of the self adjuster.  Try turning the adjuster (I think from the bottom up) to adjust the brakes a little at a time.  If you go too far it can be a real pain.

Cheers Ian...

denisondc

Sent: 5/6/2004

And I think your RV has self adjusters for the rear brakes. They work okay if their threads have been cleaned in the last decade. If they are stuck, you might not be able to tighten them from the access slot. Then it means taking off the wheels and removing the drum/hub assembly to get at them. This is not as hard as it might seem, but will occupy you for several hours at least. While at it you should check whether the wheel cylinder is rusty inside, and should do both sides of the axle. Brakes I always give top priority.

Crazytrain

Sent: 5/17/2004

Hi again,

went to my mechanic, he checked everything. Every thing's is in good working order , it only needed a little adjustment.

I feel safer now.

Crazytrain

DanielTBolger

the self adjusters work good too!
But you have go backwards and stop hard to make them work about 5 miles hour