Wet Oil cooler lines?

Started by cncsparky, April 06, 2014, 06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cncsparky

One of my engine oil cooler lines is very wet.  Is this an indication that failure is soon  i?? ?  Are replacements available?

-Tom

Rickf1985

I would say it is on it's last legs and better replace it soon. I am curious to see what the others say about stock replacements. I am sure that anywhere that makes hydraulic hoses could make you a set but they would be pricey. Key thing here is how much does an engine plus replacement cost? Then those hoses don't sound too bad. If one of those hoses blows you will lose all of your oil in a minute or less!

Stripe

Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

cncsparky

Thanks Stripe, I need to get mine out I guess to match it up.  The one you listed is for '94-95 models.  Not sure if its the same.  Doorman doesn't list 7.4L oil cooler lines, wondering if the small block lines would work?
-Tom

Rickf1985

That link to Summit is for a 7.4 line. Although not with heavy duty cooling. My oil cooler is integrated with the transmission cooler in front of the radiator. One half is transmission and the other half is engine oil. The lines just in front of the engine, too short to have gone to the radiator originally so there must be different lines for different applications.

TheSportsmanDodger

cooler lines are essentially hydrolic lines. cheap simple fix hose just pinned  out.

cncsparky

I've been searching, can't seem to find exact replacements for mine.  If I take them to a hydraulic shop, could they attach new rubber lines to the existing steel lines?
-Tom

TheSportsmanDodger

they make aftermarket self crimp hoses.

Rickf1985

Quote from: cncsparky on April 12, 2014, 05:47 PM
I've been searching, can't seem to find exact replacements for mine.  If I take them to a hydraulic shop, could they attach new rubber lines to the existing steel lines?

Sometimes, It depends on the ends that are on there. On mine I have the rubber lines from the back of the block that end just past the front of the block and these go to a second set of hoses that are attached to metal tubes that are clamped under the radiator support and go out in front of the radiator to a combination oil and A/C condenser with two fans in front of that. Then I have a HUGE tranny cooler in front of all that.
Mine are starting to look a bit sad so I am going to be looking into custom made lines.

TheSportsmanDodger

M & J

M & J

Rickf1985

Custom as in go to the tractor shop I get my backhoe lines from. Probably about 100.00 for the pair and maybe another 40 if they can put new rubber on the metal front lines. Not bad when you consider the unit will be rotted into the ground before the lines ever need to be replaced again. It would probably be less than that since I will not have to use 5,000 lb, burst strength hose. I am just basing those prices on some hoses I just had to get about the same length. Figure that should be maximum price.

TheSportsmanDodger

cncsparky

Got the original GM numbers from local dealership using my VIN.  12472204 and 12472203 of course discontinued.  Tried crossing them to a Doorman pt# with no luck.  Next step I will pull both hoses and take to a hose shop to be either repaired or new built.  O'reilly auto is supposed to do hydraulic lines, I will check there first. 
-Tom

TheSportsmanDodger

if your operating a older rig, check in multiple years with the same or simular engine, i remember one time on my old 89 f250 a exhaust shop broke my flex pipe egr line, they do not sell them for 89 so i brought a solid 92 egr tube for a ford f150. had to bend it slightly and sand the new threads to join the new egr tube and egr together.

customization customization, but i do agree to chexk oriely, bounce around in the years and your bound to find simular instead of them rebuilding a old junk busted up getting old threades hydrolic hose.

cncsparky

-Tom

ClydesdaleKevin

A lot of NAPA stores also do custom hydraulic hoses.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Rickf1985

95.00, I just about hit the nail on the head with that guess! I was using higher rated hose though. But like you said, still cheaper than stock and they will last a looooooong time.

cncsparky

Some of our O'Reilly parts stores also make hydraulic hoses.  Talked to them and they weren't sure about having the tubing connectors and correct hose ends.  Decided to take it to a real hydraulics place, they knew exactly how to fix it. 

Rick, it was a little more $$ than i was expecting, but probably not a bad deal afterall!
-Tom

BrandonMc

Quote from: Stripe on April 06, 2014, 06:49 PM
replacements are not only available, but relatively cheap.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-625-137/overview/make/chevrolet

Thanks for the part number
I'm about to complete this service. This line says it's only an inlet.
Do I order 2 of these, or is there a separate model number for the outlet hose?
Is there a kit with both of them?

I may have them re-made at a hydraulics place as suggested, but I do already have crimping tools if the new hose can be had for cheap... any advice is appreciated!

p30

Napa has these parts

Assortment
PART #: NOE 6011363
QUANTITY: 1
PRICE: $6.29 /Each

Line
PART #: NOE 8091557
QUANTITY: 1
PRICE: $22.95 /Each
thanks!

EldoradoBill

I just received two yesterday from Rock Auto $28 each less my discount. They will go in right after the rear brake job.

Bill

BrandonMc

Quote from: EldoradoBill on March 20, 2016, 06:28 PM
I just received two yesterday from Rock Auto $28 each less my discount. They will go in right after the rear brake job.

Bill

what part numbers did you use on rock auto? I'm not coming up with anything

EldoradoBill

Dorman 625-626 comes complete with the O-ring on the block side. They also have a Delco one 12472249  that looks identical but twice the price

Bill