throttle cable repair

Started by Arberg0, November 24, 2008, 04:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arberg0

hello everyone,  i recently had a problem with the throttle cable on my 72 indian, with the 413 dodge engine.  it became worn and would not seat the ball mount in order for it to work.  after removing cable, not hard just a pain, i  noticed that all that holds the ball mount in place is a little bit of crimping to hold the ball in place.  i put the cable in a vice inserted the ball and took a punch to re-crimp the clip so the ball mount would remain in place.  it works just like new now.  i found that napa could get the cable but it cost around 65 dollars, and is hard to find.  i thought i would share this with  everyone in cause someone else has this problem.  it saved me 65 dollars and shipping.......swabby 

Did you by chance get the NAPA P/N?  Would be a nice piece of reference information.

Dave 

Do motorcycle shops make up cables in the States?
My usual source for cable in the UK. 

And I got a cable of similar length from a late model minivan in a junkyard. I had to make up little adapters for the ends and to clamp it in place - but this was not hard since I had the radiator out. That cable has much less friction than the old original. Much nicer for an all day drive. denison   

If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little.
George Carlin (1937 - 2008)

"The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." --Thomas Jefferson