Dash fan control switch replacement

Started by MSN Member, November 29, 2008, 11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MSN Member

Sent: 6/9/2003 12:27 AM

I BROKE THE DASH FAN CONTROL SWITCH WHEN PULLING THE DASH ON MY 79 M40 BRAVE. I NEED HELP LOCATING A REPLACEMENT. IT IS A 5 PIN SWITCH THAT CONTROL THE FAN SPEED FOR THE HEATER AND A/C.  I HAVE TRIED THE DODGE DEALER AND THEY SAID THAT THEIR BOOK DO NOT GO BACK THAT FAR, AND WINNEBAGO DEALER SAID THAT IT WAS A DODGE TRUCK ITEM AND WERE UNABLE TO HELP ME.   HAL

Sent: 6/9/2003 3:44 AM

i too tried, no luck,,,, but if lucky might find in junkyard;;; if not, then
put a toggle switch
on dash, wire that to fan, at hi, and either you have full fan or no fan,
better than nothing....

Sent: 6/9/2003 6:16 AM

Take the switch to a older Napa dealer. Go thru their books you can sometimes match yours up. At the worse case you can get one there and rewire.
James

Sent: 6/9/2003 10:37 PM

Is that a rocker panel type switch? I agree with James, try NAPA. I have purchased several of them there. You have always been there for us on parts, I hope that we can help you.

C.

Sent: 6/10/2003 12:19 AM

THANKS FOR INFORMATION. THE FAN SWITCH IS LEVER TYPE MOUNTED VERT. BESIDE THE HEATER,A/C CONTROLS. IT IS A 3 SPEED SWITCH  WITH THE PINS MOUNTED VERT.ON THE SWITCH. 2 PINS ON THE LEFT AND 3 ON THE RIGHT SIDE.
THE TRUCK AND VANS HERE IN THE WRECKING YARDS ARE NOTHING LIKE MINE.  HAL

Sent: 6/10/2003 1:06 AM

Hi Harold,  My fancontrol on my Winnie Overheated and packed it in a couple years ago.  I got a replacement at the Dodge dealer with no trouble.  They had one in stock from a newer pickup truck.  The only difference was that it had a black handle instead of a chrome one.  I do believe the new part had a different stock number than the original so the counterperson will have be creative in finding a new one.
Rick

Sent: 6/16/2003 1:23 AM

Just a update. thanks for the information. Spent 2 weeks and 6 trips to the dodge dealership trying to get the switch. Took your advice and went to napa auto store and looked in their books. Found a switch with a correct pin set up, only the mounting was different. made a bracket out of sheet metal. to make a long story short, now have the dash back together and all items working. found horn relay bad, amp gauge corr. and several bad wires. had a water leak from the windshield and water had ran under the dash and onto the wireing.  THANK AGAIN  HAL

Sent: 8/4/2006 6:24 PM

hi ho,
   Finally figured out that the brackets on the dash of Gone were for fans.... (utterly necessary since engine doesn't have AC and we are too cheap at 6.0mpg to run the genny too)....(and yea Classic RV newbie)
   New fans are 3 way switch old were 2.... Pat wants to add some snaz and put toggles with little LED lights on the ends so we can see them better at night etc. Can find a ton of 2 way 12V LED toggles but no 3 way LED in my surfage so far... any ideas?
thanks!
Tina and Pat