Hub Caps and Bumpers: What do the originals look like?

Started by MSN Member, November 28, 2008, 09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MSN Member

Sent: 5/18/2004 8:49 PM

I've spent some time browsing the pictures and am very impressed.   

Are there any pics of original hubcaps?  I've seen none in the pics and the ones i have LOOK original but I'm not sure.  They have a small red W---- logo in the middle. 

I also noticed that none of the pics have chrome bumpers...mine has 3 piece chrome bumpers in wonderfull shape.  Is this rare?

Tim Lynn
Jeepbum77

Sent: 5/18/2004 10:45 PM

As far as wheel covers ( hub caps ) go most of these came OEM with painted wheels and painted bumpers , some black ,white , or painted to match the body color Like mine originally were . I was looking in my owners manual for my 76 D23C  Chieftain  , and wheel covers were not offered as an option , however crome bumpers and guards were . The fact that your have a red W or flying W Logo probably means that they are from Winnebago ( most likely a later model ) not sure when they began to offer them . I plan to keep the body and Coach as original as practicle on mine Although the old orange shag carpet has to go  - Keep us informed of your progress and post some pics - Sea Hag 

Sent: 5/18/2004 9:57 PM

Tim;

As far as chrome bumpers...mine has them(actually mine are now chrome and rust). Take a look at my pictures in the photo section.

Dave

Sent: 5/19/2004 9:34 PM

As far as I've been able to tell Winnebago didn't start offering hub-caps untill the mid to late 1970's.  I know that my 1969 D-24 wouldn't even accept hub-caps.  I've also noticed 3 different styles of caps on different years of the rigs.  Your best bet would be to look through the pictures section for rigs that are from the same year as yours and see if they have caps.

Sent: 5/20/2004 11:44 AM

Tim your rig looks very nice - I have to say that thoses hub caps are different and look to possibly be from that erea - never seen any like that before . Sea Hag 

Sent: 5/28/2004 6:01 PM

i was looking through the site posted by dave beatty on the parts catalouges for these winnebagos of ours. under each years models is a common parts list and has the hubcaps for each year there starting with 1975. this is the coolest site for finding what was on your rig. unfortunately for me mine is a 1973. still alot of the parts are still the the same from alot of the years. thanks to dave.
sal