Accessing Brake Master Cylinder through floor

Started by MSN Member, February 25, 2009, 07:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MSN Member

Sent: 1/20/2006

Has anyone added an access hole in floorboard of drivers seat area to make this an easier task?

Tim Lynn
Jeepbum77

MSN Member

Sent: 5/19/2004

This question has come up several times in the past, and yes some have actually put an acess hole in the floor to access the master cylinder.  I never went that far.  I could sit up in the wheel well and take the cap off of the cyl.  Then I would check the level with my finger.  If it was low and needed fluid I would get out my handy dandy hand siphon and fill it up.  It worked pretty good. 
I also used this handy little number to fill my radiator.

denisondc

Sent: 5/20/2004

I drilled a 2 inch hole in the floor right above the bolt that holds the lid for my master cylinder, I can then funnel brake fluid into the front or rear chamber from above. Its still messy as I cant see when its about to overflow. When I do this to my other Winny i am going to cut a rectanglular door in the floor there. The hole will be the same size as the master cylinder and have a plug to fill it, with matching carpeting on top. I want also to add an angle iron brace under the floor, to restore the floor strength I would lose due to the hole. This part of the floor supports the drivers seat after all. 

ClydesdaleKevin

On our old RV, a 1972 Futura that we fondly named "The Ark", we actually cut a hole in the floor to access the master cylinder from above.  Since we were putting in new carpet anyway, we cut it in a sort of rabbet edged way so that it fit tight like a trap door, but with the new carpet on it you could barely tell it was there.

On our 77 Itasca with a Chevy P-30 chassis, there is already a trap door over the master cylinder (it also allows you to access the cruise control module) in the floor screwed in place.  Of course, Winnebago covers it over with the factory carpet, but when we recarpeted the cockpit we carpeted it separately so we could access it just by removing the screws.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

13503gds

This is what I did to Winzilla when I put in new floors.

[attachment deleted by admin]