Recent posts

Chevy - GMC Chassis / Re: 1986 454 Headers
Last post by RockwoodMike - Today at 05:04 PM
Quote from: Eyez Open on Today at 03:24 PMLong tube will work best, improved flow of both gases and heat.

Totally agree..If you have the original cast iron ex manifolds, you will really like the difference when the install is complete..dual exhaust system helps too..In other words, don't have all the exhaust feeding into a single output..And make the exhaust as short as possible..Out the sides in front of the rear tires work well..

When you have a long tube going all the way back to the rear of the coach..The engine has to push all that exhaust the full distance..loosing power to the engine..When the exhaust is shorter, the engine needs less effort to get rid of the exhaust..MORE POWER!!..Cooler running too
Project Blogs / Re: Mike's 1973 D22 Complete t...
Last post by RockwoodMike - Today at 04:56 PM
Hi Eyez,

Thanks for the comment..I sometimes wonder if anyone else is looking at this long term effort..??

Always enjoy your input.. :azn:
I never replied, but got it figured out. Thank you for the help everyone!! This is a great site!!
Last post by Eyez Open - Today at 03:27 PM
That is quite a feat, a one man install. Great work.
Chevy - GMC Chassis / Re: 1986 454 Headers
Last post by Eyez Open - Today at 03:24 PM
Long tube will work best, improved flow of both gases and heat.
Chevy - GMC Chassis / 1986 454 Headers
Last post by zMadMechanic - Today at 02:53 PM
Question for you folks - what is my best option for replacement headers? Short? Long?

Mine are cracked and leaking badly (smells in the cabin with engine running).

1986 Chieftain 27 with a smogged 454. I'm not opposed to removing the smog stuff...

Thanks for any input!

Last post by RockwoodMike - Yesterday at 11:37 PM
When you work alone, it isn't easy but this install went well..

Pic 1..Sitting on the engine mounts..

Pic 2..Rear cross member removed and the trans held up with the trans jack..Need to re install the cross member..

Pic 3..Sitting Pretty!! :)clap  :)clap  :)clap  :)clap
Last post by RockwoodMike - Yesterday at 11:33 PM
Pic 1..When installing the Torque convertor..It will have 3 steps as it load in..And the final step is when it engages the pump correctly.
A straight edge across the bell housing will show about 1/2 inch distance..

If you don't get this right, you will bust your pump..You will bust the torqu converter
And you will bust your head against the wall after all this..

Pic 2..Another view of the TC in place..

Pic 3..The engine and trans should drop together easily..If you are forcing it together with the bolts..You will break the pump and or the TC..

Pic 4..I set the engine trans down and re positioned the chain to make it all hang level.. 
Last post by RockwoodMike - Yesterday at 11:23 PM
Pic 1..Ready to mate the trans to the engine..

Pic 2..Torque Convertor filled with 2 quarts of oil..Just to have it wet inside

Pic 3..Seal and input shaft lubed up

Pic 4..Rear mount point for the trans..Glad the rubber is in good shape..This is an odd ball mount with an odd ball tail shaft..
Last post by RockwoodMike - Yesterday at 11:18 PM
Time for the engine to go in..

Pic 1..Engine on stand and trans on sawhorse bench..

Pic 2..With the right pistons in you can see how much higher the piston is..

Pic 3..With break in grease, it stays put on the cam shaft..It doesn't drain away like break in oil..The red drippy stuff..

Pic 4..Flex plate installed